• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

I got DC covered...

On a practical note, what do you use El Dorado 5 for? I've realized that most of my rums are in the $30 range and I could do with a cheaper bottle for something mixed with lots of other ingredients

I got DC covered...

Excellent!

On a practical note, what do you use El Dorado 5 for? I've realized that most of my rums are in the $30 range and I could do with a cheaper bottle for something mixed with lots of other ingredients

I use El Dorado 5 in tiki cockails. Recent uses: Ancient Mariner, Navy Grog. It's a really good deal at less than $20 a bottle.

Sounds like a plan!

(I think I see a line forming at the door...)

Are you making cocktails for us to go with the dinner on the Saturday of the chocolate workshop?

Sounds like a plan!

(I think I see a line forming at the door...)

Are you making cocktails for us to go with the dinner on the Saturday of the chocolate workshop?

Great idea :-) I am sipping on something right now that happens to have a ton of unexpected chocolate notes. This should be fun!

Made a trip up to Kentucky this weekend for an event and so I made a pilgrimage to the Party Source while in the area.

Ha! You do that too? My wife and I have been to the Party Source twice since we learned about it's existence. Both times we went with a friend of ours and stayed overnight in Newport and made a weekend out of it. When we told locals why we were in KY, they would just stare in disbelief. "Don't you have liquor stores in Pennsylvania?" "Well, yes, but let me explain that to you." Anyway, on the first trip I fell in love with the vermouth aisle. I love just being able to say that--the vermouth aisle. The Party Source is my only practical source for Dolin, Bonal, Cocchi Americano, etc., and allowed me to try Cinzano for the first time (we have it in PA now). It is also the only practical way I can get Lemon Hart 151 and other fun rums. I usually pass on single malts because their prices are surprisingly way higher that PA's on most of them. We're planning to return there in September.

As for what I bought recently, last weekend I made a trip my favorite local specialty store and replenished some things I've been out of for a while:

Green Chartruese

Cherry Heering

Smith & Cross Rum

Cinzano

Carpano Antica Formula

Ramazzotti

Broker's Gin

Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Made a trip up to Kentucky this weekend for an event and so I made a pilgrimage to the Party Source while in the area.

Ha! You do that too?

Ineed I do! Even though the Atlanta area options seem to be broader than PA (I can get most all the things you mentioned locally) there are still things available at TPS that I can't get or at least can't get as easily.

But I think the taxes are higher in KY on liquor than Atlanta (which surprised me) so I tend not to buy things I am sure i can get at home.

Still, it is worth a trip if I am in the area as far as I am concerned!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

I hit up one of the Oregon Liquor Control Commissions finer stores today to stock up on some of the more inexpensive Bourbons available. Some of these are "Special Listings" meaning they're not widely available in Oregon and you may never see them again. With the exception of the Dickel Rye they're all good to excellent. The Old Charter 10 is quite nice and the real sleeper in the group.

The Dickel Rye is the foulest bottle of whisky I've ever purchased. Not a hint of rye spice, rather it reeks of petrochemical smells. I don't believe there is any mechanism for returning defective liquor in this state, but if there was I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've included OLCC inventory codes and prices.

$18.95 - Item 7331B: OLD CHARTER 10 YR

$10.60 - Item 7326B: HEAVEN HILL OLD GREEN 6 YR

$18.95 - Item 8256B: FIGHTING COCK

$15.95 - Item 0130B: OLD EZRA 7 YR.101.0

$17.65 - Item 7392B: OLD CHARTER 8 YEAR

$19.95 - Item 1635B: GEORGE DICKEL RYE

Edited by Keith Orr (log)

I hit up one of the Oregon Liquor Control Commissions finer stores today to stock up on some of the more inexpensive Bourbons available. Some of these are "Special Listings" meaning they're not widely available in Oregon and you may never see them again. With the exception of the Dickel Rye they're all good to excellent. The Old Charter 10 is quite nice and the real sleeper in the group.

The Dickel Rye is the foulest bottle of whisky I've ever purchased. Not a hint of rye spice, rather it reeks of petrochemical smells. I don't believe there is any mechanism for returning defective liquor in this state, but if there was I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've included OLCC inventory codes and prices.

Interesting. I acquired a bottle of the Dickel Rye recently and while it wasn't anything extraordinary it was not bad. Typical LDI/MGP rye that was perhaps a bit sweeter and maybe with a hint less of the typical LDI minty/dill sort of taste.

Yesterday I was finally able to acquire a couple of bottles of the rereleased Tanqueray Malacca gin. Now I just have to figure out what to try first.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Interesting. I acquired a bottle of the Dickel Rye recently and while it wasn't anything extraordinary it was not bad. Typical LDI/MGP rye that was perhaps a bit sweeter and maybe with a hint less of the typical LDI minty/dill sort of taste.

Yesterday I was finally able to acquire a couple of bottles of the rereleased Tanqueray Malacca gin. Now I just have to figure out what to try first.

I retasted the Dickel Rye today with some friends. After my rant yesterday I researched it a bit and realized it had been finished in Tennessee. It reminds me of Jack Daniels and the other Dickel Products. If you like Jack Daniels, this is the rye for you. I don't and the rye tended to exaggerate the qualities I don't care for. I do agree that it has less of the minty/dill thing.

We tasted it against the Bulleit Rye that is the same raw rye spirit to start with as well as a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB. The Rittenhouse was everyone's favorite by far. The Bulleit was a ways back in second and way back was the Dickel.

For the Money the Rittenhouse is the way to go in my book. It's getting harder to find, but when I find it I stock up.

I retasted the Dickel Rye today with some friends. After my rant yesterday I researched it a bit and realized it had been finished in Tennessee. It reminds me of Jack Daniels and the other Dickel Products. If you like Jack Daniels, this is the rye for you. I don't and the rye tended to exaggerate the qualities I don't care for. I do agree that it has less of the minty/dill thing.

We tasted it against the Bulleit Rye that is the same raw rye spirit to start with as well as a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB. The Rittenhouse was everyone's favorite by far. The Bulleit was a ways back in second and way back was the Dickel.

For the Money the Rittenhouse is the way to go in my book. It's getting harder to find, but when I find it I stock up.

Rittenhouse is often a favorite rye but it is a very different too. It is a 51-ish percent rye whiskey with a lot of corn to give it some "body" and sweetness. That helps balance the rye spices and It is far more like a bourbon than the LDI/MGP ryes.

The LDI/MGP rye is a 95% rye, 5% malt mashbill with no corn at all. The Dickel has been charcoal filtered after aging (which is a bit different from the regular Dickel and Jack Daniels whiskies which get charcoal filtered prior to going into the barrel I believe) and I think is what reduces the typical minty character of Bulleit and other LDI/MGP ryes. Bulleit is not charcoal filtered.

I do like that it gives another option but can see how if you don't like Tennessee whiskey in general you might not like the Dickel rye.

~tanstaafl2

I contend that Kerry has a bottle of Ransom flavored whiskey. Makes a killer Negroni, particularly with Punt e Mes. Let us know what you think.

I've got Ransome Old Tom - that what you mean? I've got Punt e Mes as well. Shall try to remember to try tomorrow.

My wit is drier than my Martini, which is both not saying much and saying not much.

What does Malacca taste like? Sweeter, more fruit, less juniper? I wonder what people who paid big bucks for the "last remaining bottles" think about it's reintroduction.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Likewise.

And yeah, it's sweeter, softer, less fruity (citrusy), spicier and has a sort of thicker mouthfeel to it. I will sit down and compare the lot at some point.

A lot of the cocktails at the launch paired it with Allspice Dram and Bitters to bring out the spice. There was a Martinez styled drink that was pretty good and some sort of sour with apricot liqueur that I believe Erik Lorincz was responsible for.

I'm glad I've a bottle and I feel lucky, but I can't say it's a must-own just yet. That may change as I mix with it more. I've made a 2:1 martini with it that satisfied me but I certainly prefer Special Dry with tonic. (Fever Tree)

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I wonder what people who paid big bucks for the "last remaining bottles" think about it's reintroduction.

​Speaking with folks who tasted some of the 2001 product against the new released, they said the old stuff had definitely lost something over the intervening years, and that they would not at all recommend hording the new make. Or, perhaps the new stuff is just more assertive...

And yeah, it's sweeter, softer, less fruity (citrusy), spicier and has a sort of thicker mouthfeel to it. I will sit down and compare the lot at some point.

When it first came out, I initially thought to compare the Malacca with Leopold's (two 80 proof gins with what I expected to be similar lower-juniper profiles), but the Malacca surprised me with its lack of citrus notes. It is also certainly spicier, and I found it to be plenty dry/hot for 40% abv (glad that the lower proof is not an impediment to mixing). It does extremely well in Martinez-like applications. I've quickly worked my way through about half the bottle I was given at the release, so I was very pleased to find they had changed their mind and released some for off-premises sales in IL. Yesterday, I picked up another bottle, as well as some Cocchi Americano Rosa. They played nicely together at 50/50 with a couple dashes of Regans' and Bittercube Lemon Tree bitters.

BEYlerXCUAAoLeW.jpg

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 100 proof "Hawaiian Moonshine", known locally as "Okolehao" (which means iron bottom, or more precisely bottom iron, to describe the rounded bottom iron three legged pot first used to distill the spirit in the 1790's), and the Okolehao liqueur on my recent trip to Hawaii. The liqueur is very sweet and tastes like a coconut rum (both are cane sugar based products) but the 100 proof Okolehao spirit is quite interesting. It is flavored with the root of the Ti plant and tastes a bit like a sweet tequila with an interesting vegetal component. Quite good on its own as well as a mixer. But not readily available outside of Hawaii that I know of except online (the liqueur may be in a few places in California).

Thanks for reminding me about the okolehao. I have a bottle of the liqueur that I use in tiki drinks, including one that I think is in Remixed - the Polynesian Paralysis. It's really flavorful/funk. I don't remember a coconut taste though, I will have to check.

I will be curious to hear what you think. It would certainly work in tiki-dom. But it is quite sweet and if not coconut then some sort of tropical fruit taste.

But I definitely thought the new Okolehao 100 proof spirit to be a superior concoction although I can only presume it is much closer to the what the true okolehao would have tasted like.

Hey FP!

Did you ever give the okolehao liqueur a try in any cocktails? I was curious if you found a good use for it!

~tanstaafl2

Hey FP!

Did you ever give the okolehao liqueur a try in any cocktails? I was curious if you found a good use for it!

No, just the one that I mentioned already, the Polynesian Paralysis. Jeff Berry has a link for a drink with okolehao liqueur here (Brice Ginardi's Ohana Mai Tai which I haven't tried it but looks good at least on paper). Thanks for reminding me; Tiki Season is coming! (at least in San Diego).

Got the 100 proof "Hawaiian Moonshine", known locally as "Okolehao" (which means iron bottom, or more precisely bottom iron, to describe the rounded bottom iron three legged pot first used to distill the spirit in the 1790's), and the Okolehao liqueur on my recent trip to Hawaii. The liqueur is very sweet and tastes like a coconut rum (both are cane sugar based products) but the 100 proof Okolehao spirit is quite interesting. It is flavored with the root of the Ti plant and tastes a bit like a sweet tequila with an interesting vegetal component. Quite good on its own as well as a mixer. But not readily available outside of Hawaii that I know of except online (the liqueur may be in a few places in California).

Regarding the okolehao liqueur, my bottle does not taste sweet. You are right that there is a faint tropical/coconut flavor at first, but coconut rum does not come to mind. After this faint flavor, it packs a ton of punch & funk. It may be interesting to try it in an Eastern Sour instead of the bourbon. The stuff seems lethal though (and the Polynesian Paralysis well deserves its name! Better sit in a very comfortable chair before starting to sip on one). Maybe they have "refined" their formula over the years? My bottle was acquired at least a couple of years ago I believe.

Regarding the okolehao liqueur, my bottle does not taste sweet. You are right that there is a faint tropical/coconut flavor at first, but coconut rum does not come to mind. After this faint flavor, it packs a ton of punch & funk. It may be interesting to try it in an Eastern Sour instead of the bourbon. The stuff seems lethal though (and the Polynesian Paralysis well deserves its name! Better sit in a very comfortable chair before starting to sip on one). Maybe they have "refined" their formula over the years? My bottle was acquired at least a couple of years ago I believe.

Could be. I just got mine this past December. I will try it again and see.

~tanstaafl2

Tempus Fugit Kina L'Avion d'Or. I used it in a Twentieth Century, which was okay (not my favorite drink). Any ideas for good applications? The stuff is pretty expensive for an aperitif wine, so I want to show it to good effect.

I exhibited great restraint in passing up Kummel, Mehkong, Imbue Bittersweet and Petal & Thorn vermouths, a bunch of ryes that I hadn't seen before, some Texan corn whiskey, 3 St George gins, Sorel liqueur.

I am so screwed if I walk past that place again.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Tempus Fugit Kina L'Avion d'Or. I used it in a Twentieth Century, which was okay (not my favorite drink). Any ideas for good applications? The stuff is pretty expensive for an aperitif wine, so I want to show it to good effect.

I would try a CR No. 2. How does it taste neat compared to Lillet and Cocchi Americano?

Nothing fancy, just a 1.75 L of Weller 12 year...neck & neck (with the Weller 107) for best value in bourbon, imo.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour