• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

Got the 100 proof "Hawaiian Moonshine", known locally as "Okolehao" (which means iron bottom, or more precisely bottom iron, to describe the rounded bottom iron three legged pot first used to distill the spirit in the 1790's), and the Okolehao liqueur on my recent trip to Hawaii. The liqueur is very sweet and tastes like a coconut rum (both are cane sugar based products) but the 100 proof Okolehao spirit is quite interesting. It is flavored with the root of the Ti plant and tastes a bit like a sweet tequila with an interesting vegetal component. Quite good on its own as well as a mixer. But not readily available outside of Hawaii that I know of except online (the liqueur may be in a few places in California).

Thanks for reminding me about the okolehao. I have a bottle of the liqueur that I use in tiki drinks, including one that I think is in Remixed - the Polynesian Paralysis. It's really flavorful/funk. I don't remember a coconut taste though, I will have to check.

Got the 100 proof "Hawaiian Moonshine", known locally as "Okolehao" (which means iron bottom, or more precisely bottom iron, to describe the rounded bottom iron three legged pot first used to distill the spirit in the 1790's), and the Okolehao liqueur on my recent trip to Hawaii. The liqueur is very sweet and tastes like a coconut rum (both are cane sugar based products) but the 100 proof Okolehao spirit is quite interesting. It is flavored with the root of the Ti plant and tastes a bit like a sweet tequila with an interesting vegetal component. Quite good on its own as well as a mixer. But not readily available outside of Hawaii that I know of except online (the liqueur may be in a few places in California).

Thanks for reminding me about the okolehao. I have a bottle of the liqueur that I use in tiki drinks, including one that I think is in Remixed - the Polynesian Paralysis. It's really flavorful/funk. I don't remember a coconut taste though, I will have to check.

I will be curious to hear what you think. It would certainly work in tiki-dom. But it is quite sweet and if not coconut then some sort of tropical fruit taste.

But I definitely thought the new Okolehao 100 proof spirit to be a superior concoction although I can only presume it is much closer to the what the true okolehao would have tasted like.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Nice selection, and welcome to eGullet from another Negroni fan!

From the photo, it looks like you already made a dent in your supplies! What cocktail(s) did you make with the white dog? I have a small bottle that I haven't used yet.

Nice selection, and welcome to eGullet from another Negroni fan!

From the photo, it looks like you already made a dent in your supplies! What cocktail(s) did you make with the white dog? I have a small bottle that I haven't used yet.

HA yes, my house is filled with Gin fans so that was dented rather quickly.

So I have not yet come up with something I really like for the white dog but it reminded me of a Pisco or Grappa in an odd way. So I tried making a Sour with it.

White Dog, Lemon Juice, simple syrup and a little Harlequin then used an egg white to froth it up a bit. It was pretty good but I think I can do better...just not sure what to do with it yet.

White Dog, though rather in fashion with distillers right now (it's the first thing a small craft distiller can start selling, natch!), can be tough to mix with -- if it's a good brand, you don't want to overwhelm the fresh grain taste, but you often need to soften it a bit. Maybe it's time someone started a White Dog thread?

I finally found a source for Appleton V/X and am excited to start using it in tiki drinks and two spirit cocktails -- it's kind of like Demerara's younger, smoother cousin, and like many rums a good buy for the price.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

pappy.jpg

Lucked out today. Very very happy. Havent seen Van Winkle Rye ever in my life.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

White Dog, though rather in fashion with distillers right now (it's the first thing a small craft distiller can start selling, natch!), can be tough to mix with -- if it's a good brand, you don't want to overwhelm the fresh grain taste, but you often need to soften it a bit. Maybe it's time someone started a White Dog thread?

Good idea - I just revived the White Dog thread.

Kerry you have one of my favorite Gins! I love that stuff!

I can't tell what the center one is? I don't recognize it.

St George Absinthe - in a tiny bottle.

The Rye cost me $85. First time I every saw it. The limit of any VanWinkle product was 2 bottles per person. I passed on the 15 and 20 and took the Rye instead along with the 23.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Made a trip up to Kentucky this weekend for an event and so I made a pilgrimage to the Party Source while in the area. Also popped into a few other stores along the way. Never know what you might find!

I had reserved a bottle of Barry Crocket Legacy Irish Whiskey at the Party Source just to be sure it would be there. Spendy but I decided I needed a present!

IMG_6875_1.jpgIMG_6877_1.jpg

Also picked up a variety of whiskies there and at other spots along the way to include:

Glendronach 15yo Revival - hadn't seen it locally and wanted to give it a try to broaden my scotch appreciation.

CEHT Warehouse C Tornado Survivor bourbon - getting scare and they aren't going to be making more so I picked up another bottle just for fun.

Lot 40 Canadian Whisky - A surprise find and an impulse buy. Just named Canadian whisky of the year on Whiskey Advocate so I decided what the heck!

Willet 8yo barrel strength bourbon - Willet is always a crap shoot but they had an open bottle to taste and i thought it was good. Hard to go wrong with 8yo cask strength bourbon from a major distiller even if you don't know which distiller it was. Heaven Hill or maybe LDI/MGP I suspect but don't know for sure.

George Dickel rye - another LDI/MGP product that has been given the Tennessee whisky treatment with maple charcoal filtering but a good price at under $20 and a few bartenders have said good things about it.

Abraham Bowman port finished bourbon - the pleasant surprise find of the trip as it is a new limited edition bottling. So I got 2!

Greenore 15yo - Another impulse buy to add to the Irish collection. Don't typically see it locally.

Old Portero - like the Greenore it was an impulse buy because I rarely see it in my area.

IMG_6882_1.jpg

Also a few odds and ends that caught my eye.

IMG_6885_1.jpg

Bittermen's Amere Sauvage, Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao and El Massaya Arak (another impulse buy)

I really need to improve my impulse control...

:blink:

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

My turn to show off. I bought a few things this weekend at Hi Times. I had to extract myself before spending all my money there. Mind-blowing selection and this is just a tiny sampling. It's a good thing I don't live too close...

8442472929_d05000d508_z.jpg

From left to right: large bottle Angostura bitters (restock), Coruba dark rum, Appleton 12-year rum(restock), Clement VSOP rhum agricole, El Dorado 5-year rum (restock), JM canne syrup, Del Maguey Vida mzcal, Small Hands gum syrup, Gran Classico Bitter, Benedictine, Daron fine calvados (restock), House Spirits coffee liqueur, Delord armagnac Napoleon (I have the 25 year already, this one is for mixing), Buffalo Trace (restock), Willet 5-year single barrel rye.

My god you got all that? I think all of eGullet will be queueing up for a drink at your door

I know, this is ridiculous. I have enough stuff to open an eGullet speakeasy! ;-)

You could open the west coast franchise and I would be happy to open the east coast franchise (well, southeast perhaps)! If I though I could make a living at it I might consider it!

Although the hours typically suck so maybe not...

~tanstaafl2