• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Rollin Soles, Winemaker

Fat Guy

This thread is for discussion of Rollin Soles: Winemaker, if you wish.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It's rather odd to see the locales of my childhood (Portland suburbs and California's Central Coast) become winemaking destinations. I'm glad they're making good wine.

I've never posted on the Wine board because I'm a wine novice. I especially enjoyed this article because it discusses wine from the people and farming perspective (rather than the expensive bottle/special glasses angle, which I relate to less well). Thanks for this detailed and lucid explanation of winemaking. And who knew that Corvallis had a (good?) sushi restaurant? (It's a while since I've been there.)

Ellen, one of the best things about the Daily Gullet is seeing more of your photographs. I love the wine barrels. And it would have been cruel not to include a photo of Rollin, after describing his mustache. His life is an excellent story.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

We ordered so much that at the end of the meal the chef proudly presented us with a complimentary special dish: Fresh shrimp, as in still alive and still moving. This scared the heck out of several people at the table, so I got to eat extra.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That was a wonderful article, Ellen. Very engaging as well as informative. And yes, it's nice to see more of your photographs.

Steve, beer with miso-shiru. Feh.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I got to hang out with Steven, Ellen, and Rollie for a day at Argyle. One of my favorite things about Rollie is that he's got this Texas accent and demeanor in an area overrun with pretentious wine snobs, and while he's describing some aspect of his wine-making he'll say, "It's cooler than shit."

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Damn, I wish my biochemistry professor had sent to me stay with his buddies in Switzerland.

What I liked most about this piece--well, okay, it was the goat story. But aside from that, Ellen, you did a great job of establishing yourself as a knowledgeable amateur and bringing the reader along on your learning experience. I really enjoy that type of piece--when it's done in the right spirit and intelligence, it's a lot more approachable than "I am an expert and am going to tell you all I know about Pinot."

-mamster, who didn't come here to raise goats

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Jim obviously I'm totally with you (you got a belly laugh out of me on that one). Rollin is such an accessible guy--he'll go into the technical details of exactly how he produces what he does and then, with a Texas size smile and a twinkle in his eye he'll exclaim, "it's cooler than shit" or, in polite company, "cooler than snot." Where else are you going to get that kind of tasting notes?

And Mamster I'm glad you liked it and the thing about it is I'm really just a person who appreciates (as in I like it) good wine. I'm not like Fat Guy--I don't retain the facts and figures of things in my brain but I can tell you what I like and I have a very specific idea about it. I think there are a lot of wine drinkers out there like me--we're "the people." I feel you don't have to be a collector, member of a wine club with a notebook full of notes, or even a consistent (as in daily or weekly) wine drinker to drink, enjoy, appreciate, and occasionally engage in meaningful discussion about good wine.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Ellen, a really terrific article, one of the best things I've read on this site yet. I'm going to send a link to my local wine merchant Henry Butler who I know will be interested in the article, and maybe I can even get him to stock some of the wine.