• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried then Braised (Steamed)/Basted Hamburger

Paul Bacino

Yesterday,

I was just messing around late , after my soccer game, and wanted a hamburger. I took some seasoned ground chuck ..made a couple patties.. placed them in a saute' pan with a little EVOO.. fried one side, flipped added in one plum tomato, knob of butter, slpash of water. It came about 1/4 way up the hamburger cover steamed and then removed the top reduced and basted the burger to finish. Actually quite happy with the result.. the juices that extruded and reduced with the cooked plum tomato , hamburger seasoning, and butter make a great sauce.. it was quite juicy and flavortful.

Another option possible?

Just though I put it out their.

Good Day Paul Bacino

Its good to have Morels

I sometimes do the opposite, like you would do with pot stickers.

Steam/braise first, then as the liquid dissipates, the meat/pot stickers begin to fry and brown.

You don't end up with a sauce, though, using this method.

Thanks for sharing your method.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You're reminding me of the first recipe I ever worked out for myself. After negotiations, I was allowed to cook my own dinner if an incompetent babysitter was coming over. I made a kind of "risotto" (didn't know the word) from rice and canned cream of mushroom soup. In another pan (Revere Ware, with that thin copper gesture to the cooking gods) I first fried then steamed (lid on) a cheeseburger. I had never been exposed to a hamburger cooked any way besides very well done, and this was at least juicier. Then I stacked the result as a kind of "skyscraper food" (again, didn't know the word) and I was very pleased with myself.

My next recipe was more ambitious: An omelette with blueberries and Worcestershire sauce. My dad loved to remind me that I couldn't keep it down.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

I've never done that for a burger that I was going to eat on a bun but my mom used to do a variation of that when we were kids. She'd brown the burger patties in a hot pan, take them out and cook down some onions and bell peppers, then she'd add garlic and canned diced tomatoes with their juice and whatever seasonings she used. She'd put the burger patties back in, put a lid on and let it simmer for while. We ate the burgers and sauce on rice.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Man v food visited a place, i want to say in Rhode island, where they completely steamed the cheeseburgers, in a special set up. As you might expect, they were described as juicy.

Edited by Dignan (log)