• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toki Underground

chefmd

Went to Toki Underground for the first time. They had 8 course dinner tonight instead of the regular menu. Dinner was honoring their late chef Thang Le who died last year.

Chefs getting ready for the night.

IMG_0349.JPG

Oyster with green tea noodles

IMG_0350.jpg

Scallop, turnip, black garlic sauce. There is also a little sliver of mackerel wrapped in shiso leave and a thin slice of radish. Super imaginative combo!

IMG_0351.JPG

Congee with pig's tongue.

IMG_0352.JPG

Winter roots salad with parsley puree. I could (almost) imagine becoming vegetarian.

IMG_0355.JPG

Pork neck, prawn, rice noodle. OK buy not spectacular. Pork neck was room temperature and I would definitely would like it to be steamingly hot.

IMG_0354.jpg

Red mullet, pumpkin, bamboo shoot. Fish was ahem... fishy. Did not care for it at all.

IMG_0356.jpg

Quail with sticky rice. I will eat sticky rice in any incarnation.

IMG_0357.jpg

Blood orange and lavender panna cotta. Server was trying to convince me that panna cotta was flavored with strawberries.

IMG_0358.jpg

I've only just had their ramen (and accompaniments), but this place is the JAM. My friend who lived in Japan for several years says this is on par with the best he's had outside Japan.