• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melted Chocolate Weight to Volume Calculation

korhan

Hi eveyone,

Is there a simple way of accurate calculation of melted chocolate's weight to volume? I simply use 1/1, 1 gr to 1 cm3 bu I think it is a little bit different what I do. For example if I prepare 400 gr. of ganache I use 20*10*2 cm (400 cm3) frame to pour.

Thanks.

It's too bad there isn't an easy way to calculate the volume--for the simple reason that, in three recent cases, from recipes from two expert chocolatiers, the volume of the ganache has not matched the size of the frame specified. That is to say, the author may call for a 12" x 12" x 1/2" frame, and the ganache resulting from the recipe doesn't fill up the frame (it doesn't matter so much when the recipe exceeds the dimensions, but I haven't had that happen). But I don't see any solution except to calculate the volume of the frame and then pour the ganache into a measuring cup. There are conversion calculators on the web--for example, to determine how many fluid ounces it takes to fill up x number of cubic inches/centimeters.

Even when dealing with one manufacturer, there are often a dozen or more types produced. Many make chips designed for cookies, baking bars, and several grades of couveture per type of chocolate. Every one of these will have a different split.

If you know/calculate the cubic capacity of your tray, and you have have an accurate measuring container (e.g. marked lab beaker), you can then translate the milliletres into cubic inches or centimetres (e.g. 50 mL = 50 cc/3.051 cubic inches). From the two measurements, you can determine how the chocolate is going to fit into the tray.

You can you use this conversion calculator: http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org