• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nasi Lemak in a pressure Cooker, help needed

Prawncrackers

The title says it all really. I normally cook my nasi lemak in a crappy rice cooker with a rattly lid, it's ok, could be better though. The cooker is not good and I have to keep topping up with water to make sure the rice is tender enough. I get better results on the stove in a pan that I can get a tight lid on, keeping the steam in always makes the rice fluffier. But it got me thinking whether I could make this in my pressure cooker (a Kuhn Rikon). Especially as I have to make it for 16 diners this week. Im thinking my PC is exactly the right size for the job. Of course I could just use it as a normal pan but seeing it is a pressure cooker has anyone actually tried it? Questions that come to mind first are:

· Shall I cook the rice uncovered normally first letting it absorb the liquid a little first before clamping the lid on? How long should I cook it under pressure?

· Or should I bring it up to pressure from cold? Then how long under pressure?

Any help or ideas would be great. Would like to nail this first time natch!

I'm not familiar enough with this recipe to give you proper guidance.

Can you tell me what your rice cooker recipe is, and I'll try to translate it to the pressure cooker? Also, how big would each portion be to make16 portions? How large is your pressure cooker?

With rice, unfortunately, you should not fill the pressure cooker more than halfway with rice and cooking liquid.

Ciao,

L

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

I'm not familiar enough with this recipe to give you proper guidance.

Can you tell me what your rice cooker recipe is, and I'll try to translate it to the pressure cooker? Also, how big would each portion be to make16 portions? How large is your pressure cooker?

With rice, unfortunately, you should not fill the pressure cooker more than halfway with rice and cooking liquid.

Ciao,

L

I have the 6 litre Kuhn Rikon, I think it’s the 22cm base with the two side handles. If I were to use a rice cooker, for 16 portions I would put the following together in the cooker :

• 10 cups of washed Thai Jasmine rice
  • 3 cans or so of coconut milk (approx. 5 cups) then top it up with the same amount of water. This is the tricky part, I don’t measure out my liquid so I’m estimating this will be enough. Ideally I would like to increase the ratio of coconut to water for more coconut flavour.
  • 1 Tbl of Salt
  • 3 stalks of lemongrass
  • 8 pandan leaves
  • 1 big knob of ginger

What do you think?