• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole grain risotto

PeterLG

While I realize this may be blasphemy, but...

Any good recipes out there for whole grain risotto? I'm not cooking much with traditional rice, and I really like the mouthfeel and bite that you get out of using organic whole grains. The downside is that you need to compensate with time (about 40 minutes instead of 18), and be pretty generous with butter and parmesan to create a proper emulsion in the end.

PC makes it (obv) faster, but at least in my experiments with that you end up easily breaking the rice and while good, the results feels slightly like porridge instead of risotto.

Anyone else experimenting with this? Any hints, recipes or references that you'd recommend to reach the optimal results.

Barley, but...I don't know if it's blasphemy...I just know it's not risotto.

I have made good risotto with all kinds of grains, including regular rice, wild rice, couscous, ---- all without adding Arborio rice.

dcarch

Sous Vide Chicken Breast on Wild Rice Risotto

wildricerisotto_zps49452352.jpg

wildricerisotto2_zps7a626559.jpg

Farro is wheat, right? I'm referring to whole grain rice that hasn't been skinned & polished.

That was not clear in your original post. Anyway, if you are a fan of brown rice, you might consider giving farro a try. It is very good.

I had forgotten that I've also made barley risotto. Also very good.

You might consider doing a search for brown basmati risotto. I did this some time ago, and turned up a few recipes for brown rice risotto. Haven't actually tried them, but if dcarch's results are similar I'm going to have to do so very soon. That looks good.

I have made good risotto with all kinds of grains, including regular rice, wild rice, couscous, ---- all without adding Arborio rice.

I think if you made couscous, you made pasta.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I think if you made couscous, you made pasta.

You are not wrong. But it eats like risotto. :-)

dcarch

couscousrisotto_zps77d488a6.jpg

couscousrisotto3_zps2a0c4f3e.jpg

I have used brown rice to make it and as OP noted it took about 40 mins if you follow the trad technique of slowly adding hot liquid and stirring . I tried it out of curiousity but I wouldn't really recommend it. It tasted fine but wasn't worth the effort.

Now on the alternate grain front, cooking millet using the method for risotto yeilds excellent results in a similar time frame to traditional risotto.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow