• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NXR gas range

patrickamory

After years of vacillation we finally bought a new range to replace the ageing Caloric that came with the apartment. The oven door was lacking one hinge and needed to opened with a knee against the left side. The burners heated unevenly, especially on low. The thing was setting off the carbon monoxide detector almost every day.

So we got an NXR, a semi-pro 30" gas range that I don't think has been discussed on eGullet before. It's comparable to the big names in performance and repair record, with a nice finish (though not quite as nice as a Wolf or a Blue Star or a Viking), has minimal electronics and well-made parts from Germany and America, assembled in China. The repair record appears to be good, from what I've read on Chowhound, Gardenweb and the other usual sources.

We've only had it since Thursday and used it to make Zuni chicken with rice and green beans, plus boiling water for coffee and tea. It will be put through its paces in the coming weeks! But I have to say we're delighted with the 15K burners (all four identical, all four capable of excellent simmer mode), the beautiful blue enamel oven, the sleek look and feel (it slid exactly into the space, despite not technnically being a slide-in range), and of course the performance. Oven calibration at 475 for the Zuni measured pretty much perfect with my oven thermometer. The door is heavy and solid and lets no heat out. The knobs feel pretty great and the click and ignition for each of the burners is a joy. The oven is not self-cleaning, but has a convection feature as well as an excellent internal light. It was a revelation actually to be able to read the oven thermometer through the glass door while the chicken was cooking.

Here are some photos. We're very happy!

(note: there is a center grate for it which is on back order.)

nxr_1.jpg

nxr_2.jpg

nxr_oven.jpg

nxr_burner_simmer.jpg

nxr_burner_high.jpg

That's a very nice stove.

I've been thinking about getting a basic restaurant stove, Garland or whatever, 24 or 30 inch, our kitchen is tiny.

I'm tired of standard household junk.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I've looked into the venting issue.

It shouldn't be a problem with my current venting set-up according to the engineer.

~Martin

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Venting is not the only issue:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/appl/2004064556019303.html

If the inspectors in your jurisdiction don't care, then great. Otherwise, you might have to undo everything when it comes time to sell the property. And don't forget about homeowner's insurance issues!

Not to derail this thread any further, but we've been using a BlueStar RNB30 for the last 5 or 6 years (back when they were not too crazy expensive), and the burners are a step up from the standard-issue Garlands...

Edited by Joe Blowe (log)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Your NXR looks like a clone of our Viking. Not a bad thing.

As to commercial ranges and ventilation.

Commerical ranges do not meet NFPA Residential Fire Codes and if installed residentially must be to commercial Fire Codes and your local building inspector plus your insurance company should approve of the installation.

As a former Fire Marshall, that is the reason I have a Viking and not a Vulcan.

Now onto ventilation. Ventilation is as much about heat removal as removal of odors and vapors. I installed a Viking two fan hood with a 18" ducting to the outside. 4x15K burners and an oven produce a lot of heat.

As to an Engineer saying "it shouldn't be a problem", the Engineer should have some sort of certification and should provide you with a documented and signed statement to that effect.

I'm an Engineer and and trained Fire Marshal and I know I wouldn't provide you with any approval for a commercial range in the space you describe as "tiny".-Dick

BTW for a 24" Garland with 33Kbtu burners, I suggest you look at the combustible wall clearances on the Garland spec sheet!

http://www.garland-group.com/docs/uploaded/gar/products/g_gmd_ss_gseriesrange_g24.pdf

Edited by budrichard (log)

Venting the heat of a commercial range is probably only a problem if you get one with lots of burners. It's the total BTUs going into the air that matters. I don't think you'll have a problem with any 36" range. Most likely, well before you got to the point where you couldn't ventilate the heat, you'd get to the point where you don't have enough gas supply. The big daddy commercial ranges expect (I think) a 3/4" gas hookup. The bigger pipe will deliver gas (and energy) at over twice the rate of the 1/2" pipes standard in home kitchens.

A bigger issue is lack of insulation at the back. You need some kind of masonry firewall, or a ton of wall clearance, as Budrichard says. Sheetrock is not recommended. There will also be more hot surfaces on the outside of the stove that a kid could get burned on, and there's potential of setting cabinetwork on fire. you don't want wood things butted up against the thing like you would generally have in a home kitchen. It will also be about 6" deeper than the countertops.

Notes from the underbelly

All of the issues pertaining to the commercial range have been addressed.

The description of "tiny" is relative, the kitchen is not the size of an average commercial kitchen and the like, it's actually a summer kitchen separate from the house

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi, Patrick. Thanks for the review. How are things going with the NXR now that you've had it a few years? I'm thinking of upgrading my Frigidaire to an NXR from Costco, but notice the online reviews are all over the place. Thanks!

Edited by osita (log)