• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knock Boxes: What Are You Using?

Mjx

I'm on the lookout for a knock box (or something that will work as one), since the pretty little wooden box my boyfriend made for this purpose has succumbed to a combination of violent blows and pesistent humidity (I was not surprised).

Given the fairly hefty pounding these things are subjected to, sturdy construction seems like a must, but since I'm having a lot of trouble finding these in shops, I've been looking online, and am a little concerned, since you can't tell from images whether or not they're well made; the couple I've actually seen in person looked a litttle flimsy/prone to tipping over.

So, I'd love to hear about any units you particularly recommend (or would warn against, for that matter).

Also, anyone using something that is not a dedicated knock box, which has turned out to be a great solution?

Thanks!

M.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

1/4 size shallow insert (the kind you see in salad bars, but s/s) with a 1/2" dia. steel bar bolted into either end and this is covered with a length of garden hose. The insert sits in a heavy box I made with leftover Beech wood scraps from the counter tops.

I should post a pic, but I have trouble posting pics with this site.

Following a conversation with my boyfriend (which anyone seeing from a distance would have interpreted as my giving him the bad news that he had a day and a half to live, and would feel queasy and itchy the entire time), it seems like a designated knock box is not going to happen, but at the mention of a stainless steel insert, he perked up again. Clearly, a metal drill and carpentry need to be involved.

Edward J, would you mind having a go at posting an image of yours?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

this will not appeal to your BF, as it does not involve the Home Workshop, a vital place indeed:

I use 1 - 2 yogurt containers, 2, stacked in side one another if on the thin side, one if of the thicker variety.

you tap the rim 'just right', but no show-stopper for Home and Gardens.

Following a conversation with my boyfriend (which anyone seeing from a distance would have interpreted as my giving him the bad news that he had a day and a half to live, and would feel queasy and itchy the entire time), it seems like a designated knock box is not going to happen, but at the mention of a stainless steel insert, he perked up again. Clearly, a metal drill and carpentry need to be involved.

Why do you even discuss this stuff with him :cool: ?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Why do you even discuss this stuff with him :cool: ?

Deeply conditioned democratic reflex? Grotesque delusions regarding my persuasive abilities?

We're looking at stainless 1/6 pans, and he has this eager gleam in his eye. I'm searching for a ready-made knock box that closely resembles an insert.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Thank you, Mjx. I just had to clean blueberry smoothie off my computer.