• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Mjx

Knock Boxes: What Are You Using?

14 posts in this topic

I'm on the lookout for a knock box (or something that will work as one), since the pretty little wooden box my boyfriend made for this purpose has succumbed to a combination of violent blows and pesistent humidity (I was not surprised).

Given the fairly hefty pounding these things are subjected to, sturdy construction seems like a must, but since I'm having a lot of trouble finding these in shops, I've been looking online, and am a little concerned, since you can't tell from images whether or not they're well made; the couple I've actually seen in person looked a litttle flimsy/prone to tipping over.

So, I'd love to hear about any units you particularly recommend (or would warn against, for that matter).

Also, anyone using something that is not a dedicated knock box, which has turned out to be a great solution?

Thanks!

M.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I use the same type.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

1/4 size shallow insert (the kind you see in salad bars, but s/s) with a 1/2" dia. steel bar bolted into either end and this is covered with a length of garden hose. The insert sits in a heavy box I made with leftover Beech wood scraps from the counter tops.

I should post a pic, but I have trouble posting pics with this site.

Following a conversation with my boyfriend (which anyone seeing from a distance would have interpreted as my giving him the bad news that he had a day and a half to live, and would feel queasy and itchy the entire time), it seems like a designated knock box is not going to happen, but at the mention of a stainless steel insert, he perked up again. Clearly, a metal drill and carpentry need to be involved.

Edward J, would you mind having a go at posting an image of yours?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

this will not appeal to your BF, as it does not involve the Home Workshop, a vital place indeed:

I use 1 - 2 yogurt containers, 2, stacked in side one another if on the thin side, one if of the thicker variety.

you tap the rim 'just right', but no show-stopper for Home and Gardens.

Following a conversation with my boyfriend (which anyone seeing from a distance would have interpreted as my giving him the bad news that he had a day and a half to live, and would feel queasy and itchy the entire time), it seems like a designated knock box is not going to happen, but at the mention of a stainless steel insert, he perked up again. Clearly, a metal drill and carpentry need to be involved.

Why do you even discuss this stuff with him :cool: ?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I use a six pan with a rubber bar-the garden hose over a bolt would work as well-that actually sits in a cutout in the counter top next to the machine-extreme, but effective.

Why do you even discuss this stuff with him :cool: ?

Deeply conditioned democratic reflex? Grotesque delusions regarding my persuasive abilities?

We're looking at stainless 1/6 pans, and he has this eager gleam in his eye. I'm searching for a ready-made knock box that closely resembles an insert.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Thank you, Mjx. I just had to clean blueberry smoothie off my computer.

In my above post I described using a 1/4 insert with a bar, (and covered with a piece of garden hose) Glepore describes using a 1/6 pan.