• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panna Cotta Without Cream

Shel_B

Yes, I know that sounds odd, but it's an experiment I'd like to try. My thought was to substituted milk for the cream. Anly thoughts on how that might best be done to maintain, or at least approach, the richer taste and mouth feel of a traditional panna cotta? Thanks!

... Shel

... Shel

I've made experiments with cooking down milk or adding powdered milk to regular milk, and liked the results, although I've never done this with any degree of precision (I have some recolleciton of reduging the lik to half its original volume), so I can't offer a recipe. The mouthfeel is less unctous, but the consistency and flavour release seem similar. Of course, it isn't panna cotta any longer, but 'latte cotto'doesn't have the same ring.

I also tried making a panna cotta using coconut cream. Not sure where it went wrong, but it was vile.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Yes, I know that sounds odd, but it's an experiment I'd like to try. My thought was to substituted milk for the cream. Anly thoughts on how that might best be done to maintain, or at least approach, the richer taste and mouth feel of a traditional panna cotta?

Add about 32% more milk fat.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I've made experiments with cooking down milk or adding powdered milk to regular milk ...

I also tried making a panna cotta using coconut cream. Not sure where it went wrong, but it was vile.

I accidentally made a batch with half & half and it was quite acceptable. The group of people to which I served the dessert were all happy. Thanks for your comments.

... Shel

My reference Panna Cotta was from Ristorante Belvedere in La Morra, in 1986 when the place was legendary. Though I have no doubt now that they used gelatin, it appeared at the time to only barely hold its form through technique and good (Chernobyl era) cream. Unadulterated, I still cringe in comparison at flavored Panna Cotta in the US.

In any case, I have impossible standards, and I didn't start out with high hopes for a recipe from Salon, but this works:

buttermilk.

http://www.salon.com/2010/06/12/buttermilk_panna_cotta_how_to_use_gelatin/

It's not the same dessert, but it can be a great dessert in exactly the classic vein.

Skimp on the gelatin, go very easy on the lemon rind (which works with the buttermilk, even though you'd leave it out of the original) and skip the Anisette or Pernod, which is only classy to someone who doesn't know the original. Otherwise, this recipe has great promise. Combine it with what you already know.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."