• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Roasted Broccoli

mikeczyz

I have done it with moderate success. I fully thaw and drain them so they are fairly dry. Then I use a temperature on the high end of the range I would use for fresh.

I was thinking that getting the veggies very dry would be a key. Desides draining them, additional drying, such as with a towel, might help.

What prompted you to try roasting frozen veggies? In my case, I'm away from home a lot at irregular intervals, and fresh vegetables sometimes have a tendency to be in bad shape by the time I get around to cooking them, so there's plenty of frozen around.

... Shel

I never met a veggie that wasn't vastly improved by roasting or sauteing, so that's how I tend to cook all my veggies. When I was tempted by the price of organic frozen broccoli at Costco, I decided to give it a whirl. I found that the results were not as good as fresh, but definitely good enough to make it worth buying that broccoli, especially in the winter!

Why don't you just use fresh vegetables?

I'm away from home a lot at irregular intervals, and fresh vegetables are sometimes in bad shape by the time I get around to cooking them, so there's plenty of frozen around.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 1 year later...

Tonight was a failure.  I prepared roast carrots.  Carrots are something I am understandably frightened of after cutting off the tip of my thumb last fall, a year ago.

Anyhow, I steamed the quartered carrots for a minute along with fingerling potatoes.  Then I roasted them for an hour at 375 deg F, followed by perhaps another half an hour while waiting for the rest of dinner.

My grilled lamb chop was just as I like it.  The potatoes were OK.  String beans that I sautéed were also good.  Would have been very good except for the time they'd been sitting in the refrigerator.

With all that said and done, the carrots I was so looking forward to were carbonized.  Inedible.  As Leon Aschkenasy said to James Cagney in the movie One, Two, Three:  "Totally unsatisfactory!"

I blame it on the rhum.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Carrots, depending on size take for me 20- 40 minutes to roast, not longer,  I add them after the potatoes been in  either 10  or 30 minutes.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Tonight was a failure.  I prepared roast carrots.  Carrots are something I am understandably frightened of after cutting off the tip of my thumb last fall, a year ago.

Anyhow, I steamed the quartered carrots for a minute along with fingerling potatoes.  Then I roasted them for an hour at 375 deg F, followed by perhaps another half an hour while waiting for the rest of dinner.

My grilled lamb chop was just as I like it.  The potatoes were OK.  String beans that I sautéed were also good.  Would have been very good except for the time they'd been sitting in the refrigerator.

With all that said and done, the carrots I was so looking forward to were carbonized.  Inedible.  As Leon Aschkenasy said to James Cagney in the movie One, Two, Three:  "Totally unsatisfactory!"

I blame it on the rhum.

Perhaps this would help.

Scroll down for carrots.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-how-to-roast-vegetables.html

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, that method was similar to what I did, except for matter of the time.  Since I have more carrots left I will try again in a couple days.

Anna, that method was similar to what I did, except for matter of the time.  Since I have more carrots left I will try again in a couple days.

Jo,

I saw that you did steam them but for just a minute which I didn't feel would give you the best results. If you do try it again let us know how it works. Roasted carrots are perhaps my favorite vegetable.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

this is one area where the Cuisi-SB is a great help.

rotuts,

I have to tell you that my attempt at roasting parsnips in the CSO proved very disappointing. I don't know if I reported on it while we were up north but so little caramelization took place that the parsnips were tasteless and soggy. Possibly it was operator error.

My 2004 eG Blog

rotuts,

I have to tell you that my attempt at roasting parsnips in the CSO proved very disappointing. I don't know if I reported on it while we were up north but so little caramelization took place that the parsnips were tasteless and soggy. Possibly it was operator error.

How did you cook them, Anna? I will go search that thread, but here is Williams-Sonoma's suggestion for cooking them in the Cuisi - steam-broil (instead of steam-bake) at 450F for about 20 mins on the upper rack position. (Though I would be keeping a pretty careful eye on them or else use a lower rack position)

jo, I rarely roast cut carrots for more than about 20 mins. 

rotuts,

Anna - I can attest that roasted parsnips can caramelize a bit and are delicious (drizzle with olive oil and honey as needed. Wait, is that cheating?). Don't give up on them yet!

Anna - I can attest that roasted parsnips can caramelize a bit and are delicious (drizzle with olive oil and honey as needed. Wait, is that cheating?). Don't give up on them yet!

I love them and make them frequently. They simply did not work in the steam oven.

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Not sure why you would use steam if caramelization is the goal... but I don't have a steam oven so I should probably keep my mouth shut! :smile: In any case, a regular oven is fine for this.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

How did you cook them, Anna? I will go search that thread, but here is Williams-Sonoma's suggestion for cooking them in the Cuisi - steam-broil (instead of steam-bake) at 450F for about 20 mins on the upper rack position. (Though I would be keeping a pretty careful eye on them or else use a lower rack position)

jo, I rarely roast cut carrots for more than about 20 mins.

I posted a photo of them on October 15. I did not comment but just from looking at the photograph I recall how limp and soggy they were yet over charred in places. I believe I followed something very similar to that found on the Williams Sonoma site.

Edited for sense.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

My favorite way to do this is to roast a combination (must have beets, eggplant, onion, carrots at least).

Then warm up a nice fluffy pita like the kind you get stacked in a bag at Costco.

Then put a generous amount into the pita, top with goat cheese, and fold in half.

Wow, is that good.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Not sure why you would use steam if caramelization is the goal... but I don't have a steam oven so I should probably keep my mouth shut! :smile: In any case, a regular oven is fine for this.

Strangely the steam oven seems to defy logic. Potatoes cooked in there with steam are a revelation. Creamy and crispy both at the same time. Chicken thighs come out with the crispiest skin you can ever imagine. But parsnips…. Like I say perhaps operator error. Will make another attempt next July!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

well, F.D.:  I have not done CSB parsnips.  mostly as I cant stand them.  some sort of cloyingly sweet earthy-ness does not suit me.

however, they are mighty fine in the TJ's Terra-chip clone.  there a lots in there.

If I see some whole I might try them in the CSB for the first time.

BTW  AnnaN  You forgot what the CSB can do for Beets :  big beets.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

Curries don't work for me. Something in the curry powders from the supermarket as well as curries I have had in Indian restaurants leave me wishing I was dead a few hours after eating them. I suspect it's the fenugreek but it doesn't matter. I just don't want to chance that pain anymore.

I went for "the basic": olive oil, salt, pepper, spread out on the baking sheet; 425 degrees for 45 minutes. We all enjoyed it.

Roasted_Cauliflower.jpg

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Jo,

I saw that you did steam them but for just a minute which I didn't feel would give you the best results. If you do try it again let us know how it works. Roasted carrots are perhaps my favorite vegetable.

I was not clear, I steamed the carrots in the pressure cooker for one minute.  They were soft.

FWIW, I find it easiest to do the steaming and roasting in the same pan, cooking covered for about half the time.  For small to medium size batches, I use a skillet with a lid; for a large batch I'll use a baking dish and cover with foil.  Add a little water, but it doesn't take much as the veggies will add their own; also a little oil and salt.  So, for example, I generally do carrots about 40 minutes at 350ºF with convection (375º without).  Start covered; uncover after 20 minutes; toss after another ten minutes, then pull when done.