• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Shel_B

Roasting Frozen Vegetables

8 posts in this topic

I use a fair amount of frozen vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower. I was wondering if such vegetables can be roasted with good results, and, if so, might there be some special techniques to use? Thanks!

... Shel

... Shel

"... ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself "

The only way to know is to try it, I guess. I would imagine that there would be some loss of texture, since the vegetables are most likely blanched before they are frozen. And there might be some more liquid that leeches out of them.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have done it with moderate success. I fully thaw and drain them so they are fairly dry. Then I use a temperature on the high end of the range I would use for fresh.

I have done it with moderate success. I fully thaw and drain them so they are fairly dry. Then I use a temperature on the high end of the range I would use for fresh.

I was thinking that getting the veggies very dry would be a key. Desides draining them, additional drying, such as with a towel, might help.

What prompted you to try roasting frozen veggies? In my case, I'm away from home a lot at irregular intervals, and fresh vegetables sometimes have a tendency to be in bad shape by the time I get around to cooking them, so there's plenty of frozen around.

... Shel

I never met a veggie that wasn't vastly improved by roasting or sauteing, so that's how I tend to cook all my veggies. When I was tempted by the price of organic frozen broccoli at Costco, I decided to give it a whirl. I found that the results were not as good as fresh, but definitely good enough to make it worth buying that broccoli, especially in the winter!

I dump green beans straight out of the freezer onto a sheet pan to roast. They're fine. Crispier than fresh, for sure. I like them.

Why don't you just use fresh vegetables?

I'm away from home a lot at irregular intervals, and fresh vegetables are sometimes in bad shape by the time I get around to cooking them, so there's plenty of frozen around.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel