• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Want to Work Pastry & Baking in France – Advice?

johnson0427

Hello, I am cook who currently works in a fine dinning restaurant that has been cooking savory for well over 7 years. Recently I have taking over the bread department at my restaurant and have really taken on a liking for the art of baking and wish to pursue it further. I wish to got to Paris in hopes of taking on a stage for at least 3 months to try and learn form the masters of bread. Currently I am planning a vacation to paris to see the bread first hand and hopefully establish a contact(s). My hopes are to work over there once I am finished at my current job and wanted to ask for advice on how to secure a stage.

The questions I have are as follows:

- What is the best way to talk to the french on my vacation in order to make this happen?

- What do I need to know about Visas and how to attain one?

- Advice on what Boulangeries to check out?

Currently I can read french and speak on a very basic level and have a beginning knowledge on bread baking.

Please feel free to respond with any advice you can offer.

Thank you