• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange Rice

msacuisine

A strange thing happened when I made lunch today. I made plain white rice the way I always do--boil the rice in about twice as much water for a minute or so, then turn the heat to low and cover for 20 minutes. When I went to serve the rice it had turned into a soupy mush. My first thought was, "great, the rice is ruined, now what am I going to do?" Then, once I strained the rice to get rid of the excess water, I realized that it had basically turned itself into a risotto all on its own. I played up the creaminess with a generous amount of butter and a little cream and it was absolutely delicious.

The only problem is, I can 't figure out why it happened, how I could reproduce it when desirable, or how to keep it from happening again in the future otherwise. Can anyone think of an explanation?

maybe accidentally added an other cup water? If there was extra liquid after you cooked it, that's pretty much the only thing I can imagine. Certainly could happen to me sometimes, kids pulling this way, phone ringing that way....

Something was different from normal, extra liquid is really the only thing I can imagine.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

It is certainly possible that I inadvertently added an extra cup of water. Making rice is something I kinda do on autopilot, so it's a possibility. Maybe I'll do some experiments and see if I can recreate it. I was hoping maybe this had happened to someone else and would have an easy answer.

It sound to me that you add too much water and make it into porridge. Add more water and cook for longer time with low heat, when cooking, try to stir it often, or you can use cooked rice to do it, but remember to stir it frequently, you get very creamy porridge and very yummy. Try to add seafood, pork meat ball or vegetables like carrot, celery. Add some soya sauce, sesame oil, and crack an egg, it taste really yummy. Remember to add some ginger too. :laugh:

Good food is a lifestyle, and it's all about food and recipes.

Pangty: sounds delicious. I will give it a try. Thanks!

Chris Taylor: Definitely nothing to do with shipment or storage. This is out of the same bag I have been using a couple times a week for months.

I'm going to try some experiments and see if I can recreate the result. Thanks for the input everybody. If anyone has any other ideas, I would certainly be interested in hearing them.