• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One meal in LA - foodie and non-foodie mix

Mithril

My parents will be picking me up at LAX at about noon on a Friday, and we will be spending some hours in LA before heading out to Palm Desert. They are on-a-budget retirees who won't let me buy a meal for them. Any thoughts on an interesting late lunch/early dinner place that is easy on the wallet? I would like to try something that is really well done or something that I can't get in New England if possible. My mom can't handle spicy, but will be ok if there are some mild foo options for her.

We haven't pinned down exactly where in LA we will be going. My mom suggested a bus your of Venice Beach, and I would be interested in visiting a big Farmers Market if available.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you end up going? I haven't been in LA in 20 years so my old favorites are either probably long gone or decrepit. although I should have thought of the Apple Pan in West L.A. which is a unique experience and has excellent burgers, shakes and pies. I'm told it's still there and still good. Sorry I forgot!