• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guinness bonbon and truffle formulas

lebowits

I'm looking to make a Guiness Stout ganache for filled bon bons. Does anyone have any suggestions for reference formulas? The Guiness web site has a basic 2:1 ganache formula with a bit of orange zest. Wybauw also has a beer ganache formula I believe in "Fine Ganache 2".

Anyone else have favorites they are willing to share or pointers to references?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I make a Guiness caramel adapted from William Curley's orange balsamic caramel:

150 ml guiness

90 gr whipping cream

300 gr caster sugar

40 gr glucose

100 gr unsalted butter

100 gr salted butter

Caramelize sugar and glucose to a dark amber. Add warm cream and butter, cook to 110 celsius. Add warm guiness, and cook to 107.

I want to try and replace some of the sugar with muscovado sugar, and see how that turns out as well

I've planned on doing this, but I'm not making chocolates as much right now, and have put if off.

I was thinking of replacing half of the cream with reduced stout. I wondered if all of the cream could be replaced, or trying it with a butter ganache. I've made a red wine filling that way, and figured beer would work. One of my favorites that I want to try is Laguanitas Cappuccino Stout. It's chocolate-y and coffee-y at the same time.

I've made a milk chocolate stout ice cream at work, and I like how the flavor of the stout comes through better than with dark chocolate.

Thanks for all the replies. I plan to work on this over next week and will report back.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"