• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Point Reyes in March (and one evening in Berkeley)

Catherine Iino

My husband and I will be staying in Point Reyes for four days in Mid March. Any restaurant or other food recommendations? We have read good things about Osteria Stellina and a new place called Saltwater Oyster Depot--any reports?

Also, we'll be meeting friends for dinner in Berkeley. Should we consider Chez Panisse these days? (We live in Connecticut and haven't been to the Bay Area in years.) Where should we eat?

Thanks for any advice . . .

Chez Panisse is still the destination restaurant in Berkeley, IMO. Someone said, "There's nothing new here, but it's always delightful." I agree. I haven't been at the restaurant since last fall. I still love to eat at the place.

For another take on the Chez Panisse style, I suggest Camino in Oakland. A former CP chef is doing his own thing there. I find the food delicious and imaginative. http://www.caminorestaurant.com/

I also like Cafe Rouge in the Fourth Street mall in Berkeley. It's been one of my favorites for years. http://www.caferouge.net/ Out-of-towners like shopping at that mall, also. There's a Crate & Barrel outlet, and the Sur La Table cookware store.

I haven't been out to the Point Reyes area in years, so I can't help you there.

hope you enjoy your trip!

Absolutely! Will it be Dungeness crab season? That's the best news I've heard in a while.

Per KTVU:

The season in Northern California ends Sunday, June 30, 2013, said senior environmental scientist Pete Kalvass, who oversees the Invertebrate Management Project at the DFG. The competition can be fierce once commercial boats are out on the water with a majority of crabs caught within the first six weeks of the season, according to Kalvass.

However, this year is expected to have an abundance of Dungeness crabs, Kalvass said. "We're coming come off some record years," he said.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Depending upon how you drive, if you go by Marshall Road from Tomales you can stop at Hog Island for oysters. You can eat them there on the deck or pack them to go. If you are in Berkeley on a Saturday morning you can buy same oysters at the Berkeley Farmers' Market (same deal, take away or have them open for you on the spot.) And you can also get them at the SF Ferry Building.

I have never eaten at Osteria Stellino in Pt Reyes Station. There is of course the well worn and well known Station Cafe, just opposite from Stellino. Atmosphere hasn't changed in a million years. The food has never been great imo but it is an institution, and if the weather is warm and sunny, sitting in the back patio is pretty sweet. Excellent root beer float.

Saltwater Oyster depot is on my list of to do's--it sounds great. That's in Inverness, I believe, just a short hop from Pt Reyes Station. A great day outing: go through Inverness and stop at Saltwater Oyster (or vice versa), continue on to Abbott's Lagoon parking lot. The walk is lovely, about a mile in to the lagoon and a little more to the ocean. Great for birding, usually lots of pelicans and assorted shore birds, also great for taking a picnic. Last time I was there I saw a coyote walking on the opposite shore of the lagoon.

The Berkeley/Oakland border has a lot of great new and newer places and there are a lot of great ethnic places from all over the world. Check yelp.com for some ideas. Have a great stay, if the weather plays nice March is a wonderful time at Pt Reyes!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Thanks, you all. Oliveto it is, since it turns out that Chez Panisse is closed on Sundays. I've made reservations for Osteria Stellino and Saltwater. Oysters and crab and fog and headlands--I am so looking forward to this. (Coyotes we have here in Connecticut. But last time I was at Point Reyes, a mountain lion crossed out path. Ulp.)

I really appreciate the advice.

Rocker Oysterfeller's is the best restaurant near Point Reyes these days. Stellina hasn't impressed recently. Marshall Store is the place for lunch.

Good job missing Chez Panisse. Oliveto isn't as good as it was under the two previous chefs, but Chez Panisse is kind of marginal. Commis is better than either, if you have the chance to change.

• Like 1

Agree that Rockers Oysterfellers (yech what a bad name) is very good. I had excellent flash fried Dungeness crab there last weekend. Note that it isn't that close to Pt Reyes, and would take 45 minutes to drive there--you would have to go to Tomales, then take Dillon Beach Rd and then take Valley Ford. If you happen to be in Tomales, at the main intersection of Hway 1 and Dillon Beach Rd is the Tomales bakery, which has some good breads and pastries plus on the weekends is a wild scene with middle age bicyclists and slightly younger motorcyclists. Across the Hway, behind the general store is a relatively new hole in the wall, no tables, where you can get some home made sausage sandwiches and a small selection of specials to go. Very nice. I think it's called K & A.

How about a place to stop between the San Francisco airport and Point Reyes? Our plane gets in at 7:00-ish on a Thursday evening.

I assume you're driving Highways 1/101 north from SFO to Point Reyes? These are some places where you can easily peel off your route for a good bite to eat.

For Asian food, you can stop off at Clement St in SF. I like to go to Burma Superstar and its little sister B-Star Bar. B-Star Bar is more fusion food, and the place where I end up when Superstar has a long line outside. About B-Star Bar: http://www.yelp.com/biz/b-star-bar-san-francisco

Farther north, you can take a detour east to Fort Mason for dinner at the Greens restaurant. I was at Fort Mason last weekend for a workshop, and eating lunches from the Greens take-out counter. I was reminded how good Greens food is. Calling ahead for reservations is probably a good idea. http://www.greensrestaurant.com/

Once across the Golden Gate Bridge, you can eat updated comfort food at the Buckeye Roadhouse in Marin. It's conveniently located near the on ramp & exit for Highway 101. I've only eaten here once, recently. I liked the place and it has a good rep. http://buckeyeroadhouse.com/

Edited by djyee100 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

While you're in the Bay Area, I recommend catching the light show/sculpture of the Bay Bridge. The show will be up for two years. I was in SF a few nights ago, and made a detour to the back deck of the SF Ferry Bldg to sit and watch the show. A hot drink in hand, and a light show on the bridge over the Bay--it was something else.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/LED-display-puts-Bay-Bridge-in-new-light-4331416.php

ETA: The back decks of the restaurants close early now because the weather is cold at night. However, they will be open later as the weather warms. You can nosh and watch the light show after dark then.

Edited by djyee100 (log)