• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turbotiere!

Unpopular Poet

So, today was a fortuitous day in the realm of cookware. I stumbled across this Turbotiere for about 90% off due to a dent in the bottom. Luckily, I have a friend who is a metal worker who is happy to fix it. I guess my question is -- besides poaching whole turbot filets, what do you think its best used for? I assume its fair game for just about anything that's not too acidic....what do you think?

Dan image.jpg

Edited by Unpopular Poet (log)

Me experience with French Turbotiere's is dismal.

I have returned two for inadequate tinning which resulted in small holes in the tin and other imperfections.

Since the shape is odd, it cannot be made by other than hand and must be tinned on the interior rather than stainless clad as modern copper is . Any imperfection, especially a hole in the tin will result in an area that food acids will preferentially attack and eventually lead to a through hole penetration of the copper.

As I said, I returned two and then gave up. I use a large rectangular light roasting pan which a grid on the bottom. A properly trimmed large Turbot fits ( all fins removed as well as tail fins),a nd after poaching the grid allows the Turbo to be lifted out in one piece.-Dick

A picture of the dent would help for evaluation but be cautious that the dent could lead to seperation of the copper-tin. If the dent is not too noticeable, you could just leave it.

Other then poaching large flat fish, I don't know what else it's sutable for because of its shape.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

The dent was already leading to a separation. I brought it to a copper smith who has experience with cookware, and he is going to pound out the dent, re-tin and make it new. For the price, all in, it is well worth it as an added piece to my collection. I needed a nice fish poaching vessel, so I suppose this is the top of the game. I did get a kick out of the salesperson at Williams Sonoma who told me it was a french roasting pan. Actually dangerous advise....Obviously, I was well aware that searing off a nice piece of beef and cooking at high temp would result in something not so tasty and most likely metallic...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, UP:

This is a major coup. Congratulations.

I've been collecting (and studying) copperware for quite some time, and this is one piece I do not have. I *do* have other fish poachers, but not the diamond-cross shape that makes the turbotiere so striking.

Where I live on the Left Coast, we would use this for a pre-adolescent Halibut, but you could poach anything in it within the constraints of the area and area-to-Court boullion ratio. I'm thinking "baseball" cuts of white king salmon for a party of 12 or so would be nice.

One issue with these pans is that, to accomodate a fish large enough to make for a proper fit/volume, you may have to straddle two modern hobs. These pans date back to a time when solid-top hotel and chateau ranges provided a vast expanse of more or less even heat. I have a dear friend who bought a 1-meter turbotiere (40 lbs empty!), which would straddle at least 4 commercial hobs, and will not fit in any but the largest ovens.

This shape is one that (along with the "braising boxes") commands far higher prices here in the US than in France. This is due mostly due to interior decorating, not culinary, interests.

Lastly, I think you need not worry over perforating your find with acidic liquors.

Have fun!