• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide short ribs, times, and temperatures

AVFOOL

Just now, btbyrd said:

I'll be interested to hear your report. I have only ever done very low temp SV short ribs (130F or 140F) and either braise or pressure cook them when I want the shredded/falling apart texture. When cooking at that temp for so long, make sure you keep your water levels topped off. I've never had a problem with my circulator shutting off, but you get a lot of evaporation at those sorts of temps; lids/plastic wrap are highly recommended if you're not using a big vessel.

Of course, I have been keeping an eye on the water level, especially because my vessel isn't huge in comparison to what is in there (it's a large pot that is almost full with 4 pounds of short ribs in two ziplock bags). During the night I lost almost an inch, even though I had put plastic wrap over the top, but I had only covered about 95% of the surface, leaving some space around the device itself. I redid it this morning doing a more thorough job around the Anova (making sure to do it below the vent so steam wouldn't be trapped there), and have seen practically no water loss since then.

• Like 1

Just now, Anna N said:

Nothing wrong with aiming for the texture of a typical braise but just once do try short ribs that approach the texture of steak. It is a revelation. 

I absolutely want to do that as well. Just a few of questions, when you cook them low & slow, do you put some type of liquid with the short ribs, or just dry seasoning/ salt& pepper? Do you use bone-in or boneless and does that matter? And do you serve them like a steak then? Carved into slices?

1 hour ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I absolutely want to do that as well. Just a few of questions, when you cook them low & slow, do you put some type of liquid with the short ribs, or just dry seasoning/ salt& pepper? Do you use bone-in or boneless and does that matter? And do you serve them like a steak then? Carved into slices?

I tend to use boneless, no liquid, no salt. 72 hours at 55C. Then Big Green Egg at high temperature to brown (here I salt and pepper and perhaps a bit of oil). Slice. 

It's pretty rich. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, btbyrd said:

I'll be interested to hear your report. I have only ever done very low temp SV short ribs (130F or 140F) and either braise or pressure cook them when I want the shredded/falling apart texture.

Success! The meat fell off the bone the second I started touching it, and I had to be very careful to keep it intact. It was extremely tender and moist. It looked identical to what is shown in the ChefSteps video for 85C/ 24 hours, with the fibers separating.

Compared to the recipe made the traditional way, the meat was noticeable better. I am very happy with the results!

Short ribs cooked sous vide

• Like 10

On 1/17/2017 at 1:19 AM, Anna N said:

Nothing wrong with aiming for the texture of a typical braise but just once do try short ribs that approach the texture of steak. It is a revelation. 

What would be the temperature and duration to have this "steak like short ribs"?

Is it that 55C for 72 hours? :)

On 1/19/2017 at 2:19 AM, FrogPrincesse said:

Success! The meat fell off the bone the second I started touching it, and I had to be very careful to keep it intact. It was extremely tender and moist. It looked identical to what is shown in the ChefSteps video for 85C/ 24 hours, with the fibers separating.

Compared to the recipe made the traditional way, the meat was noticeable better. I am very happy with the results!

Short ribs cooked sous vide

What's that liquid? Some kind of gravy? or sauce? :)

Looks nice!

3 hours ago, Josh71 said:

What's that liquid? Some kind of gravy? or sauce? :)

Looks nice!

Thanks! I put a link in my earlier post. This was Bourdain's recipe in les Halles (minus the olive oil), adapted for the sous vide. The braising liquid contained sherry vinegar, white wine, and veal demi-glace. I reduced it a bit at the end to get a nice sauce while I was browning the short ribs under the broiler.

I suppose my question would be, that as you were going for a traditional (Bourdain's) braise texture, what benefit do you think you got from doing it SV?

I do it because I'm looking for this:

Edited by weedy (log)

Just now, weedy said:

I suppose my question would be, that as you were going for a traditional (Bourdain's) braise texture, what benefit do you think you got form doing it SV?

Consistency, and perfectly cooked meat, tender and moist. Which is what I got. :)

Hi! Long time lurker first time poster... 

I've been playing around with my Anova for a while; I've done plain (just S&P) 72 hour short ribs, and over the weekend I tried the 48hr Momofuku (Cooked at 56.5, and they were just a bit...well...dull! I'm cooking for a dinner party on Saturday and I want to do something which shows off the Anova.. Has anyone got a great recipe for short ribs - or equally something else that will blow people away. 

I like that 130F 72 hr short rib because it has such an unexpected "steak like" quality, and that dutiful pink interior, for people.

I served mine last week in a red pipian sauce.

here's a good starting point:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-enchiladas-de-pipin-rojo-recipes-from-the-kitchn-179594

Edited by weedy (log)

3 hours ago, weedy said:

I like that 130F 72 hr short rib because it has such an unexpected "steak like" quality, and that dutiful pink interior, for people.

I served mine last week in a red pipian sauce.

here's a good starting point:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-enchiladas-de-pipin-rojo-recipes-from-the-kitchn-179594

I think that the best way to show off ribs cooked this way is definitely a "killer" sauce. One of the reasons I tend to sneer at Sous Vide recipe books and recipe sites is that the proteins are usually cooked in a similar manner but served with many different sauces.  I am not saying there's anything wrong with that. But there is not a lot you can do to protein as it cooks in its bag.  Some seasonings when added in with the protein become overwhelming and some get lost.  But knowing your protein will come out exactly the way you want it, when you wantit  leaves you time and leisure  to create sauces and sides. YMMV

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Scaling up these braised sous vide short ribs was harder than I thought. First I double bagged my 10 lbs (!) of short ribs into 2.5 gallon Hefty bags (which have very poorly sealed corners as shown on the left in the third picture). Believe it or not, I got a (slow) leak right away. So I had to quickly transfer everything into 1 gallon ziplock (slider) bags.

Then I had upgraded from a large stock pot to a cooler and thought that I would have plenty of place. Not really... the three bags barely fit in there. Not the most practical setup! :)

Hopefully my water level won't check too much and the bags will stay submerged (I plan on checking regularly of course).

Sous vide short ribs

Sous vide short ribs

Sous vide short ribs

Sous vide short ribs

Sous vide short ribs

• Like 1

I would be a bit worried that they are floating as well as being crowded.   Perhaps it's just the angle that I'm seeing.   And perhaps I'm a little too cautious.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@FrogPrincesse  

Im not quite sure I see  whats wrong w your cooler.

Looks to me like the inside is all buckled as if water got into the insulation layer.