• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grill Grates

mrdecoy1970

I recently bought a product I really like, I'm in no way being paid to promote anything (I wish I was!) just thought I would share with you grilling guys my new toy. It's called Grill Grates I wasn't sure about spending 69.00 for some grates but after watching a bunch of guys on You tube talk them up, I decided to give it a go. Here is my review from Amazon: I always hated how I had to move burgers really fast away from flare ups and that they would shrink up so much. This thing does work really well. You do occasionally get a flare up but it's not near as bad as with this. Seemed our burgers cooked more evenly and shrunk less. It does make nice sear marks which is fine I guess but more importantly these grates make it easier to manage an entire grill full of food because you aren't rushing to move it around so fast. Yeah worth the money so far after 3 grillings.

Edited by mrdecoy1970 (log)

Before you purchased those handy-dandy Grill Grates, did you grill your burgers with the lid up or down? Direct or indirect? Gas or charcoal? Clean, hot grates coated with fat (oil on towel, chunk of suet) before placing food on the surface?

Looking at the videos posted online, it appears to be designed for those who don't/won't pursue proper grilling techniques...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

i found this product very interesting. If you get better burgers ( other grill stuff too ) with this than without it, your are well ahead for your needs and can spend time on related Grill Things.

Others with different experience and technique might not have seen such a boost.

if we were to study the group that produces Bad Burnt BBQ burgers, a large number of these people with this problem might find this helpful.

then again even this needs to be properly taken care of ie cleaned.