• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blis fish sauce

Franci

I have a bottle of Blis fish sauce. It tastes so different than the regular red boat fish sauce, very smoky. I need some brainstroming! Lately I don't feel very creative and I'm always short of time, so, I'd like to use it in a simple way and so to take advantage of it.

Thanks!

I can't help you (yet) with this, but thanks for posting. It's a limited release, so I had no idea it existed. The BLiS main office is a short drive from my house, so I think I know where I'll be going next week. You might try calling or emailing them for suggestions. Steve Stallard, the owner, always has been helpful and courteous when I've spoken with him.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

When I asked about using fish sauce in non-Asian cuisines, folks shared some interesting ideas, check it out.

This product sounds interesting, let us know what you think of it.

Interesting thread you link to. Yes, I also concur that you just use fish sauce anywhere you want a umami kick and a sort-of "like if you wanted anchovies" situation. That means many situations. :-)

Maybe the OP or other folks might want to experiment with this "smoky fish sauce" with trying to recreate that very nice green beans dish (one of the most popular) at Girl & The Goat in Chicago... When I first had it, sitting at one of the two "kitchen bar" two-seater spaces [those who have gone there will know what I mean] I specifically asked the line cooks there what went into the really nice sauce for it and one of the components mentioned was fish sauce. :-)

Personally, if I had a bottle of this smoky fish sauce one of the first things I would try it out with would be a Cæsar salad.

Edited by huiray (log)

Meanwhile, thanks everybody, I'll try the caesar salad to start. So far I tried to sub it to regular fish sauce in Momofuku roasted brussel sprouts but I should have used a very small amout of fish sauce because it was too salty and smoky for me. If anybody starts playing around with it, I'll keep my ears open!