• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Current Price for Thermapen

TheNoodleIncident

Been a while since I've stopped in....

So can anyone recommend where to buy a Thermapen? I've debated getting one for too long, and am finally doing it.

Unfortunately, it looks like I just missed their "open box" sale. Can anyone tell me how often these occur? I'm not really in a rush, so maybe it's worth waiting.

Much appreciated!

EDIT: Spelling error in title. Oops.

Edited by TheNoodleIncident (log)

of course it depends on their stock. In the last year I think they had two: the second and most recent was a little cheaper than the first.

So the next sale might be as long off as 6 months? I think I'd wait if we were talking a month or so, but I'm not going to wait an incredibly long time to save a few dollars.

Also, the consensus is still that the Thermapen is the way to go? Have any competitors caught up?

ETI (the manufacturer) list refurbished thermapens in various colours on ebay uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Splash-Proof-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Food-Thermometer-/370753828807?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&var=&hash=item5652a677c7

Looks like it works out around $47, with shipping on top, the listing only shows shipping to Europe though, so it depends where you are..

I bought mine this way last year and it's great, seemed like new

Phone Thermoworks @ 1-800-393-6434 • M-F • 8AM-5PM MDT and ask if they have any refurbished Thermapens. They sometimes have a few but do not offer them on the web site.

A friend who is a baker got one last summer for $55.00 plus shipping. It looks like new.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Phone Thermoworks @ 1-800-393-6434 • M-F • 8AM-5PM MDT and ask if they have any refurbished Thermapens. They sometimes have a few but do not offer them on the web site.

A friend who is a baker got one last summer for $55.00 plus shipping. It looks like new.

Great tip, I'll try that. Any idea if they still offer a full warranty?

EDIT: None! Oh well.

A longtime Thermapen fan, I'm very happy with my recent purchase of their $69 infrared shooter: http://thermoworks.com/products/ir/irfs.html

They also have a $49 sale infrared shooter now: http://thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

ETI (the manufacturer) list refurbished thermapens in various colours on ebay uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Splash-Proof-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Food-Thermometer-/370753828807?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&var=&hash=item5652a677c7

Looks like it works out around $47, with shipping on top, the listing only shows shipping to Europe though, so it depends where you are..

This is a great idea, and was JUST about to buy one until I realized that these models appear to only measure in C*. I only know F*, and don't want to deal with conversions each time. I put a call into the seller to confirm this. Really hoping they have models that do both.

got a serious urge for an IR item, but emmisivity baffles me

Well, their food IR shooter is tuned for food applications. The error isn't that much in practice, and one can check by pressing one's Thermapen against the surface.

In any case, one adapts to an IR shooter by feedback, the actual numbers don't matter so much as one swaps out preconceptions for what appears to work in practice. And the Thermoworks shooter is so handy. I had a different brand combo unit (to economize) in one kitchen, and ended up swapping in Thermoworks separates for ease of use. These tools need to be effortless, with simple displays, and separates are.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

This is a great idea, and was JUST about to buy one until I realized that these models appear to only measure in C*. I only know F*, and don't want to deal with conversions each time. I put a call into the seller to confirm this. Really hoping they have models that do both.

Well, just to confirm, any Thermapen directly from the UK (as is the case with the link above) will only messure in C*. The US models are the ones that have the ability to switch. Too bad, since they are a great price, but I don't want to bother with converting each time.

interesting. there is no little switch inside the battery compartment? ( if thats where it is ) odd to manufacture two kinds.

What's even more odd is that both the UK and US versions have four little switches inside them. The first switch for the US version changes betwen C* and F*. The first swith in the UK version does nothing, literally - so the hardware is there, but the software is not installed.