• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic Flan

I found one recipe without condensed milk on epicurious: http://www.epicuriou...rfect-Flan-1902. I've never tried it, so I've no idea of how reliable it is. I searched for [flan recipe] (also [flan receitas], to see what the Spanish-language offerings included), and although there are some recipes without condensed milk, most do use it.

According to the Cook's Illustrated web site (originally published July 2006), it is possible to make a substitute for condensed milk (397 g); I've converted the measurements to metric weights:

* In a saucepan, combine 355 ml (180 g) milk powder and 118 ml (123 g) whole or 2% milk; whisk until very smooth, about 1 minute.

* Whisk in 133g sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract (I think this might actually be more useful without the vanilla), and cook over low heat, whisking constantly until the sugar and milk powder dissolve, about 5 minutes.

* Cool before using (whisk again just prior to using, to make sure it is perfectly smooth).

* This may be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Interesting, to me anyway, that you've had a bit of trouble finding a flan recipe that does not contain condensed milk. I've been making flan for some 50+ years as, even as a child, custard was always my favorite treat. And none of the recipes called for condensed milk. I even remember the first time I had a flan made with it - dessert in the home of a Mexican friend - about, and I'm guessing here, 35 years or so ago. Her flan had a heavier, richer taste than mine. It really did taste "condensed" - kind of like evaporated milk. It wasn't really unpleasant, but I didn't like it as well, and I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was different, so I complimented her on it, so that I could ask for her recipe. "Oh," she said, "it's just 'gringo flan.'"

"Gringo flan?"

"Yes," she said. "A lot of gringos don't like taking the time to make flan from scratch, so they just use a can of Eagle brand. I wanted to make my abuelita's flan, but I ran out of time."

Over the years, basically everyone has converted to the much quicker sweetened condensed milk version, probably even her abuelita. And I haven't heard that derisive name, "gringo flan," in a very long time. But when you think about it, there has got to be many, many recipes without condensed milk because custards have been a popular sweet for several centuries, long before canned milk was even a gleam on the horizon.

Here's a very basic recipe, similar to the ones I began with so long ago:

http://recipes.stevex.net/recipe/diana_kennedys_flan_recipe

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

well well!! I went through dozens of recipes and most had a condensed milk. I did found one or two that didn't. I don't like shortcuts when possible. A long shortcut would be to make my own condensed milk-how funny is that? But so many times I have not made something due to lack of condensed milk (we do have a yucky kind here but it has vegetable oil in it and I hate the taste). Thank you for the lovely story and recipe. In the end I will make it tomorrow as I have run out of time. SO Mexican will continue tomorrow as well!! With lunch from tonight's leftovers.

I have tried to be as Mexican as I can although I lack many touches... I used a sheet for a tablecloth. Here are the photos of pre Mexican Shabbat Dinner. I will have to do this all again when all my kids are home for the weekend. They are writing exams at univ so they didn't come home this weekend :sad: and they would so love the theme. Thanks everyone so very much!!. Hope it dopes not look gringo big time and silly. We are having fun, though, so who cares!!

mexican beans.jpg

refried beans.jpg

mexican shabbat3.jpg

mexican shabbat 2.jpg

mexican shabbat.jpg

The flan recipe is enough for "8 normal people"!!! That is so funny!!!!!

Oh, I also wanted to add that I have no idea if it all tastes right. I cannot use bacon in the refried beans, cannot get the right cheese to grate for the topping to the tortillas, but it will be fun anyhow.

Edited by Lior (log)

Good for you. Your table looks gorgeous and that's one nifty sheet. Good luck with your latest obsession. If you like the taste of the food, then never mind what others might say.

I've been doing a lot of Mexican now for a couple of years...and I don't know what most of its supposed to taste like either. :raz: When we are in the land of Mexican restaurants I always order the one single thing...Chiles Rellenos. I keep thinking I'll force myself to order something different...and then I don't.

ps. I still haven't made a flan!!! :blush:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A long shortcut would be to make my own condensed milk-how funny is that?

Well, basically that's just exactly what you would be doing with flan recipes that don't call for condensed milk. You pour milk into a saucepan and cook it, thereby reducing or "condensing" it.

And, by the way, since you mentioned it, regarding bacon in refried beans...

Although sometimes I do that, most of the time, I don't. Bacon, at least American-style bacon, is heavily smoked and, although I do love that smokey flavor, it is strong enough to overwhelm many things and the mild flavor of beans is pretty-easily overwhelmed. That's not a flavor I've found often in Mexican refried beans, so it's not something our family is accustomed to. I do, however, usually put a little lard into my refried beans. If bacon is the only pork fat I've got, I'll parboil it a couple of seconds to remove that smoke flavor. Can you get any pork products where you are?

If you either can't get it, or don't want to add pork, you can make a just-fine skillet of refried beans using seasonings and a little butter. Or even Crisco shortening, or another non-animal fat.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...

My GF is from Argentina, and she makes flan frequently. She's been making it for decades. The friends and associates that she makes it for rave about it, and it's always requested that she bring it to their pot lucks, luncheons, and other social gatherings. She never uses condensed or evaporated milk.

I watched her make a flan just last night. She measured some milk, added vanilla and sugar, beat some eggs and added that to the milk, and put it into her regular flan tray (which already contained her "burnt sugar"), stuck it in a hot water bath and put everything into the preheated oven.

Another fine flan ...

.... Shel

... Shel