• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vulcan vs Montague Ranges.

boondocker

A little background. I am currently sous chef at a dining club in northern Minnesota. We do all of our ala carte and and banquet food off the same two lines with a total staff of 4 hourly cooks most nights (3 hot side, 1 cold side) plus myself and the chef. Our current kitchen is about twenty years old, the equipment is even older since they kept the old stuff when they remodeled last. The members and chef are in agreement that the kitchen needs an update to reflect the current wants and needs of our members and the times. We have been given the choice of either Vulcan or Montague equipment for the new hot line, but I have zero experience with either brand in my short six year old career.

Kind of looking to build a pro/con list to go over with him later this week for the next phase of the redesign. If anybody has opinions either way on these two brands I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you can share with us.

Not to confuse or complicate your work, but its worth considering an induction top area in addition to the above.

Right now we run it with a grill handling all proteins, saute doing sides, and a pasta/paella station which does hot apps and our pastas.

We were planning on a small steam table, small griddle,(I wonder if i could sell chef on a plancha like the one they use at castagna to double for searing proteins) french ringlet for saute, a couple burners for p/p, and a grill + burner unit for proteins on the cooking side, then a large plating area at the pass with dropdown lights. enough room for 12-15 plates at a time. Plating side will also have to double as a banquet assembly line since we have banquets almost daily on top of regular breakfast, lunch, and dinner service. Dinner has both high end menu, and a a bar menu with burgers and sandwiches at night.

What would the induction top add compared to ringlets? I have very limited experience with induction units, personally.

Edited by boondocker (log)

I'm not a professional in any way, and admire those who Sweat in the Kitchen in the true sense.

I only have a single induction 'top' ( portable ) with a mid range gas oven and stove. the induction top is this one:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B000MVN1M6

it is extremely efficient in energy use. It uses lest costly pans, which need a thick magnetic bottom, ie IKEA.

Modernist Cuisine folks swear by this for the 'bulk' of their work. Not that they are the Cat's Meow, but ...

full disclosure: they have a Paco-Jet and love it and I do not have nor will ever manage to get one !

it also keeps the kitchen cool. Im my sense that very modern professional kitchens have been using these for years for those few points.

all I wanted to do it to point you in a direction now so you wont regret it later. ( send food )

it would be worth your while to fully understand this option before you commit. ( send Induction food )

its electric and you may need a few more Amps, or Watts or what ever. remember this: we all have a budget,

but cheap is far from frugal. if you go for this in anyway, try not to save a few bucks now, youll get it later.

best of luck.

Now, when is dinner served in the New Kitchen?

since this topic is about two ranges, please consider a new topic like:

"installing a new (.....) kitchen: should we consider Induction Tops?

the I.D.T.'s gurus will help you there.

best of luck .... dinner is when? :wink:

Edited by rotuts (log)

Depending upon when you are remodeling and need to order your equipment, consider attending the National Restaurant Show in Chicago in May. There you will be able to see, touch, discuss and get a good grasp of lots of manufacturers and their latest products. Should you consider induction, certainly talk to the folks at CookTek who have not expanded their range of products for both front of the house and the kitchen. Also, WoodStone offers a plancha that is a fascinating piece of equipment (if you are in Chicago go eat at The Purple Pig to see CookTek induciton hobs and the WoodStone plancha being used).

One other item you need to seriously consider is a Rational combi oven. They are magic.

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks