• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Mangoes

FaustianBargain

Green mango is a type of mango, not an unripe mango. It has a different flavor. They can be found frozen in my local Asian markets.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Green mangoes must not grow in the part of Malaysia I used to live in. Where do they grow, other than China? Does anyone have a botanical name or any other alternate names? How do they taste when they're ripe and fresh?

Michael aka "Pan"

Green mangoes must not grow in the part of Malaysia I used to live in. Where do they grow, other than China? Does anyone have a botanical name or any other alternate names? How do they taste when they're ripe and fresh?

From the info online:

The green mango is kind of sour-sweet and is somewhat crunchy. It seems like the mango is harvested when it is not completely ripe. The green mango is really popular in Taiwan. The most popular type of mango to be made into green mango is the 紫檨/土芒果(indigenous mango) . It is introduced by the Dutch from SE Asia so I would assume there must be plenty of green mango in SE Asia too. Sorry, I can't find info in English on the mango.

I used to eat a large mango (double the size of the apple mango we see in Canada) that is green. Although it is green, but the flavour is very clean and sweet. I miss the huge variety of mango that I get in Asia and the best mango I tasted in this couple year is the one from India. :smile:

There are some mangoes whose skin when the fruit is ripe remains green. TP, I'm referring to what we Cantonese call "kwai mei". It is a very fragrant fruit with bright yellow-orange flesh. Very floral bouquet.

Unfortunately, it also attracts a certain type of insect that lays its eggs when the tree is in flower. When the fruit forms, the larvae grow within the fruit and when you slice open a ripe fruit, you get a rotten core.

But I agree with TP, I've yet to see an unripe mango that has flesh this shade of green. It does not look natural to me. Unless we can get the botanical name of this specific mango, it is very difficult to identify it.

Am waiting for June when we get shipments of both Indian and Pakistani mangoes.

From the info online:

The green mango is kind of sour-sweet and is somewhat crunchy. It seems like the mango is harvested when it is not completely ripe. The green mango is really popular in Taiwan. The most popular type of mango to be made into green mango is the 紫檨/土芒果(indigenous mango) . It is introduced by the Dutch from SE Asia so I would assume there must be plenty of green mango in SE Asia too. Sorry, I can't find info in English on the mango.

I used to eat a large mango (double the size of the apple mango we see in Canada) that is green. Although it is green, but the flavour is very clean and sweet. I miss the huge variety of mango that I get in Asia and the best mango I tasted in this couple year is the one from India. :smile:

Is that mango related to the Keitt mango? It sounds interesting. I'll try it if I ever get out to Hawaii.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/09/07/features/story1.html

Is that mango related to the Keitt mango?  It sounds interesting.  I'll try it if I ever get out to Hawaii.

The flesh of the Keitt mango is golden-orange, like that of other mangoes.

I've never seen a mango with green flesh... even the unripe ones (green-skinned) are pale yellow inside.

IMHO, that dried mango was dyed, even if the label doesn't say so. BTW, I can't read Chinese, but the Japanese letters on the package also just say "Dried Mango."

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Is that mango related to the Keitt mango?  It sounds interesting.  I'll try it if I ever get out to Hawaii.

The flesh of the Keitt mango is golden-orange, like that of other mangoes.

I've never seen a mango with green flesh... even the unripe ones (green-skinned) are pale yellow inside.

IMHO, that dried mango was dyed, even if the label doesn't say so. BTW, I can't read Chinese, but the Japanese letters on the package also just say "Dried Mango."

The mango I was talking is called "Ivory mango" since it is quite long. I have to agree with you that the ivory mango is just light green and that dried mango must have been dyed.

• 2 years later...

I picked up two unripe mangoes at the Vietnamese farmers market. The woman who grew them suggested dipping them in fish sauce. Linda Bladholm, in the Asian Grocery Store Demystified, has this to say:

Hard green mangoes are eaten raw with salt or made into pickles or salads.

I can't find any recipes in my Vietnamese cookbooks. Any suggestions for salads or pickles?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

You can also use them for a bastardized "som tam" (usually made with green papayas), but Melkor's advice is how you'd see it done on all sorts of carts and people on the street in Thailand.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Green mangos are kind of an east/west thing, enjoyed in south and central America as well as the Orient...my favorite way to eat them is a riff from a Colombian friend of mine with a bit of an Eastern spin- I shred the mangos with my cheapo plastic mandoline, toss the shreds with olive oil, rice vinegar and a bit of salt and fresh black pepper-just a bit of sriracha or Tabasco is good, or hold the hot stuff and it makes a nice foil for spicy foods-it's pretty as well and makes a good garnish!

Simplest one yet. Shred finely with a grater, pour into sterilized bottles and add enough water to cover the mangoes. Sprinkle a little salt on top and keep in a nice cool area for 2-3 days. Then refrigerate. Now you have pickled mangoes perfect with fried stuff - fish, pork...etc

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

un-ripe mango?

i peel 'em, chop 'em, and put 'em in a vacu-pak bag. i add candied lime zest, african bird pepper, and some chile powder.

i put 'em in a 65 C water bath for 2 hours.

yank 'em, puree 'em, chinois 'em, and add h2o/corn syrup for a smooth consistency.

season with salt and sauce a grilled chicken breast/grilled duck breast/grilled squab breast/grilled pork tenderloin/grilled lamb loin.

cheers.

trev.

eGullet Ethics Signatory

• 5 years later...

I was looking through some cookbooks and wanted to try a recipe that featured green mango. I have tried to Google this with surprisingly little luck - is this a wholly different species of mango than the typical ones you find at the supermarket, or just one that is not ripened? Thanks!

I googled "green mango recipes" & got many results. Is there something in particular you are looking for?

The green mangoes that I have cooked with are extremely unripe regular mangoes, prepared with chiles and salt in a Thai salad. Kasma Loha-unchit's recipe & blog about green mangoes: http://thaifoodandtr...og/green-mango/

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Green mangoes are unripe ones and the best are those where the shell of the kernel is still soft and it can be cut through. As for amchur, it is just another souring agent with a different flavour profile. Besides it's convenient is chaat or salad dishes because it can be powder form and so easily sprinkled.

This said, not all green mangoes are created equal.... In North America you'll mostly only find Tommy Atkins in unripe form, and for my 2 cents that's the worst possible mango to eat green - it's too fibrous for my tastes. If you can find green Julie, Kent, Keitt, or if you're very lucky, green Champagne mangoes, they are all superior to the Tommy.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)