• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swan Oyster Depot San Francisco's Finest

weinoo

It's been here forever; well, a long time, anyway...

2013_02 Swan Oyster Depot.JPG

They're gruff and friendly at the same time; you'll sit at a counter with about 15 seats. Open until 5:30 only. Plan on waiting.

We wanted to eat crab as soon as we arrived in San Francisco, so without hesitation, 2 crab Louis salads appeared...

2013_02 Swan Crab Louis.JPG

There's about 1/2 lb. crab on that salad, so at $24 a decent deal. They were selling whole body steamed Dungeness at $10 a pound, and picked crab at $40.

There's a bunch of other seafood to eat...we also indulged in a Calamari salad. Plenty to choose from...

2013_02 Swan assortment.JPG

Perfect way to start an SF trip.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

that is one of my must-do stops every visit to sf. the family of sons who runs the place is friendly and the seafood is so freshly sweet--love swan oyster depot! thanks for the post/reminder.

usually a line out the door, but it moves acceptably fast.

used to be cash only--not sure that's still the case. i struck up a nice friendship with a french couple who didn't know it was cash only, and were a few dollars short. (including a tip, which i liked, because i think a fair number of europeans, in the same situation, would have just skipped the tip, as it's not customary there.) i fronted them a few bucks and we kept in contact for a few years after that.

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Was watching Food Network this morning(gasp), and Ina Garten(double gasp) was at this place. She said it had been recommended to her by Tyler Florence(triple gasp).

I was definitely going here before TFN was even a glimmer in someone's eyes.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?