• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Meatless" by Martha Stewart Living

heidih

that's my view. ive had it since it came out. Martha's stuff is, well, Martha's stuff.

the other book ( parts of it anyway ) that helped me with Veg. is

http://www.amazon.com/Roasting--Simple-Art-Barbara-Kafka/dp/0688131352/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360273888&sr=1-2&keywords=roasting

then you need an Indian dal type book and you are set!

I have that book, as well. It is excellent.

Martha is a caterer, not a chef. Her recipes are time-consuming, fussy, call for hard to find ingredients (often used sparingly or for garnish) and aren't as good as other people's versions of the same dishes that are more straight forward and don't try to make you work harder than needed. I am not opposed to doing time-consuming or fussy cooking at all. I just find that Martha calls for way too many steps that a beginning cook would try and then realize at the end that they worked two hours to produce a frittata.

• 3 weeks later...

I have that book, as well. It is excellent.

Martha is a caterer, not a chef. Her recipes are time-consuming, fussy, call for hard to find ingredients (often used sparingly or for garnish) and aren't as good as other people's versions of the same dishes that are more straight forward and don't try to make you work harder than needed. I am not opposed to doing time-consuming or fussy cooking at all. I just find that Martha calls for way too many steps that a beginning cook would try and then realize at the end that they worked two hours to produce a frittata.

I don't find this to be true at all. She may have started as a caterer (though I don't know why a caterer's recipes would necessarily be fussier than a chef's), but MSL is a corporation and the recipes are developed by a team. I've found several good ones, none of which are time-consuming or fussy.

Isn't that funny? I abhor Deborah Madison's books! So dull to me, the food, the writing. But, in my mind, there is no need for a vegetarian book, when I am cooking vegetarian I just cook, and don't use anything with a face!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Yes, I was intrigued by that, too. DM is just not my kind of writer, I suppose, just not my thing, I'm the colorful type,methinks! I like Martha Stewart's magazines and show(I HAVE seen it, even without having television!) and her book on organization, for reference and riffing off of, as well, her rice pudding recipe is divine. I've made a few things from her magazines, and always had success.

edited to add: I think of DM as what folks say about Martha Stewart, a bit too precious, a bit too snobby. Slow food, indeed, how absolutely PRECIOUS.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06