• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Griddle help wanted!

Lindsey

Hopefully this is the right place to ask for help. Our very small beach cafe in the NE of Scotland has invested in a double griddle, maybe 3ft by 18 ins, we have never had one before using a small grill to cook needed breakfast ingredients. I would be really grateful for ideas to utilise this to its fullest. At the moment it will be used for bacon, eggs, burgers and that is about all. All hints and help needed. Thanks

Crepes, and then assorted things to fill the crepes....

One of the weirder things I know about is that some places make grilled cheese sandwiches by placing two pieces of bread on the griddle and the cheese (in a well oiled spot) -you have to be fast, but you can pick up the cheese with a spatula then place it on one of the bread slices and top with the other. It speeds things up immensely. (traditional grilled cheese takes a long time, and this is why it's never taken off as fast food -except at Sonic, where an employee showed me this trick) You can make all sorts of creative grilled cheese combinations.One place I know of makes tuna melts this way, too.

Perfect for making "muffins" in rings, that here in the U.S. are called "English" muffins. Yeast batter and they taste much better and are more tender when baked on a griddle than in an oven...

Have the batter prepared the prior evening and in the fridge. Griddle the muffins up to an hour before you will need to use it for your "to order" cooking of eggs & etc.

Here and this recipe does not require rings...

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett