• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shatterproof French press?

Hassouni

So Bodum clearly lies about their glass being shatterproof, as a recent breakage just revealed to me. Is there a Duralex or borosilicate type glass French press? I know about the Frieling stainless steel ones, but those are mega-expensive....

Not glass, but ceramic--the Le Creuset french press is pretty heavy stoneware. It's not going to shatter, but it will still break if you drop it from sufficient height onto a tile floor. http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-959486/Le-Creuset-Cherry-French-Press

But why not just replace the Bodum beaker? Around $15 online: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-6626/Bodum-French-Press-Replacement-Beaker

I gave friends a doubled walled glass bodum for Christmas a few years ago. It was dropped and shattered on first use. (On the other hand my regular old one has survived 20 years and two continents with noting more than a scorched cork.) The next year we gave them a double walled stainless bodum (purchased on sale very reasonably) and no problems since. Similar to

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Public/Bodum-Columbia-Double-Wall-Coffee-Press-Polished-3-Cup.aspx

After breaking several glass, I finally purchased a Frieling stainless and have been very happy. It holds the heat better and does not break. The cost is expensive, upfront, but when I count how many bottles I have shattered, it is cheap.

I gave friends a doubled walled glass bodum for Christmas a few years ago. It was dropped and shattered on first use. (On the other hand my regular old one has survived 20 years and two continents with noting more than a scorched cork.) The next year we gave them a double walled stainless bodum (purchased on sale very reasonably) and no problems since. Similar to

http://www.petersofk...shed-3-Cup.aspx

I have one very much like the one pictured and have used it every day for the last 5 years or so. It won't break, though I have never dropped it.

Wow, we got a stainless steel one as a wedding present, it looks great and works well but I didn't realise how expensive it was until I read your comments and googled it!

I like French press coffee (or simply 'plunger coffee' in Australia), and I especially like the way the flavour is different to espresso even if you use exactly the same coffee. Not better or worse, just different.

I have a tempered Pyrex beaker that's the same diameter as my FP guts. It's fabulous. I've dropped it onto tile, stone, wood, and cement, and it's scratched but still going strong.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I have a tempered Pyrex beaker that's the same diameter as my FP guts. It's fabulous. I've dropped it onto tile, stone, wood, and cement, and it's scratched but still going strong.

Any idea where to get one like it?

I find this rather hard to believe. Picture, please.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 11 months later...

So Bodum clearly lies about their glass being shatterproof, as a recent breakage just revealed to me. Is there a Duralex or borosilicate type glass French press? I know about the Frieling stainless steel ones, but those are mega-expensive....

I use French Presses extensively, have had several of the glass ones crack and/or break over the years, not unexpectedly, but only if I abuse them. I also have a 12oz stainless generic and a 54oz stainless Bodum as well that are relatively unbreakable.

I have found that frequenting stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ollie's and other factory 2nds stores turns up replacement glass and/or relatively inexpensive French Presses that I can cannibalize or add to the collection (like the mini stainless).

At my local camping equipment store there is a large s/s mug version of the french press, doubled walled s/s with an all-nylon plunger base. I've been using it at work for about 6 mths now, nothing but compliments on it's construction. I think there's an "accessory" for it, an extra top that has a built in, hand operated coffee grinder that grinds directly into the mug.

At my local camping equipment store there is a large s/s mug version of the french press, doubled walled s/s with an all-nylon plunger base.

Brand name?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

The store is called MEC (Mountain equipment co-op) and has a several locations across Canada.

There are several models to choose from:

1) GSI Personal Java Press

2)Buzz line Desk press coffee press (I have this model)

3)Big Sky Bistro Coffee Press

4)GSI Commuter Java Press