• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Big Thing – In Vegetables, Anyway

weinoo

We dine out frequently, which I suppose when one lives in NYC, exposes us to the beginnings of food trends as chefs start using ingredients until, well, we're sick of them.

That being said, we've been through the brussels sprouts wars and if I see (saw?) kale on one more menu, I'm probably going to scream. Now you can't turn around without cauliflower rearing it's fairly lovely head.

But I'm wondering what's going to be next? Since the brassica family seems to be high on everyone's list, and since it's a fairly affordable commodity, my bet is on cabbage.

Yours?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've been noticing kohlrabi at trendy places more and more. Same with beets.

Yeah, I was walking home via Chinatown yesterday and there was tons of kohlrabi. Any great ideas on what to do with it?

Beets have long since passed their next big thing era.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yeah, I was walking home via Chinatown yesterday and there was tons of kohlrabi. Any great ideas on what to do with it?

This kohlrabi topic has some interesting ideas

One veg I love, but you rarely see in the shops or restaurants is something we call "purple sprouting". I grow it, and I am hoping to pick my first harvest of the season this weekend.

It is similar to broccoli, but has a more spinach like taste. It could become fashionable because of its rarity.

Runner beans are also a great vegetable that I have never seen in restaurants. They are available in supermarkets, but are usually picked when they are too large.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

• 2 weeks later...

Why?

Why I hope it's the next big thing? Or why it's my new favourite? :wink:

It's my new fave because I never cooked rutabaga till I got a giant one in my fall CSA box - never bought it before, didn't know what to do with it. Did some googling and roasted one half of the thing, save the other for something else (it was really big, had to use a cleaver). Oh Em Gee - it was a revelation, sweet, delicious, flavourful. The other half, mashed it with a potato & cream - yum! I thought of it because I made a curry coconut soup with chunks of rutabaga for last night's dinner. It's so versatile & keeps a long time, too.

I hope rutabaga gets its 15 mins in the spotlight, because there seems to be a trend for funny, weird, uncool veg that people normally/traditionally turn up their noses at, to have a moment of coolness. Like brussel sprouts and beets and turnips (none of which I'd turn my nose up at!). Go, Mighty Rutabaga!!

Beebs, maybe rutabaga is the next big thing! I recently got some (for the first time in years), cut it up in chunks and roasted with olive oil and salt. It was delicious, creamy and soft with a warm, sweet flavor. Really enjoyed it and the husband and kid begged me to make it again.

Kolhrabi is so 20 years ago.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Kohlrabi is my new "discovery" since a booth owned by - I believe - Korean farmers now carries it. Nice little small ones. I haven't eaten it in decades, have to ask my mom how she made it (cooked somehow with some sauce). So far I've bought nice small ones and peeled them and julienned them (with a mandolin), did the same with a green apple. Sprinkle with good vinegar (sherry or something nice and fruity) to keep the apple from going brown, then just add what ever I have in salad leaves. Makes for a great crunchy salad! Add blue or other cheese, nuts, croutons. Really a nice fresh crunchy salad!

I rarely go out for dinner - cooking is way more fun to me than going out and I don't have to get a sitter for the kids, so I can't chime in on what's new and hot in the Bay Area right now, but if there were a dish with kohlrabi I'd give it a shot for sure!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog