• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with crispy or crunchy vegetarian side dish

NadyaDuke

I'm cooking dinner for some vegetarian friends this weekend. I plan to make The Very Full Tart from Plenty (roasted veg and cheese), and garlic roasted mushrooms. The dinner will be accompanied by 2003 Oregon Pinot Noir from various wineries, to have the fun of a horizontal tasting.

My husband suggested I need something crispy or crunchy to round out the meal. Since Pinot Noir is a focus, vinegar or very spicy foods are out. Any suggestions, wise eGulleters?

Edited by NadyaDuke (log)

Is ras al hanout strictly vegetarian if it includes cantharides? OK, I joke.

Do you know what is really good from Plenty, that bean, tarragon and nigella seed salad. It will provide the crunch you're after and tarragon is a nice match to pinot noir.

My favorite crunchy salad: julienned celery, carrot and crisp apple with radicchio and Belgian endive. Dressed with lemon juice and evo. Crunchy, tasty and very pretty.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Thanks for all the great ideas! The asparagus wontons have me drooling, but I think I have enough on my hands, since I'm a wonton rookie. I'm leaning towards some time of salad or slaw, probably based on what looks good at the market tomorrow. And I love the idea of just using olive oilntobdress it because it gives me an excuse to buy some higher grade olive oil than my usual all purpose! But I'll have some lemons in reserve in case they're called for.