• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bushel of Kaffir Lime Leaves and Fruit – Ideas?

Dejah

A friend pruned his kaffir lime tree today and gave me ALL the branches he cut. I've got 5 large Ziplock bags of leaves plus a couple dozen of the limes.

Besides Thai cuisine and a Kaffir lime syrup cake : (based on a recipe from Mix & Bake by Belinda Jeffery), how else can I use these leaves?!

kaffir lime harvest!9047.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

With all such abundance I tend to think of the leaves as herbs. I freeze what will not be lovely for long. They make excellent fragrant beds for roasting or steaming items. You can chop up masses of them and heat them for a bit in an oil of your choice to make a flavored oil. The fruits can be frozen and then used in marinades or chopped up and made into a quick marmalade or as as kitchen sink sort of chutney - whatever is around and makes sense.

I made a great crudo recipe from the Uchi Cookbook recently using kaffir lime leaves - definitely didn't use as many as you have though.

The recipe had you make kaffir lime oil, pickled cucumber, and pickled shallots. Then you simply dress some raw Cobia with the kaffir lime oil and plate with the pickled shallots/cucumber - garnish with mint leaves, thinly sliced jalapeno, a bit more of the oil, a squirt of the lime juice, and a pinch of sea salt.

With that said, the kaffir lime oil itself should be a very versatile ingredient in it's own right.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

With all such abundance I tend to think of the leaves as herbs. I freeze what will not be lovely for long. They make excellent fragrant beds for roasting or steaming items. You can chop up masses of them and heat them for a bit in an oil of your choice to make a flavored oil. The fruits can be frozen and then used in marinades or chopped up and made into a quick marmalade or as as kitchen sink sort of chutney - whatever is around and makes sense.

Yes. I have a kaffir lime (or "wild Thai lime," I guess we're supposed to say) tree. My son cooks Thai food often and uses the leaves. From time to time, I take him bundles, which he freezes, to no ill effect.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Somehow, I don't believe I have ever tasted kaffir lime. Is it very similar to the limes grown in the US? The larger limes or Key limes? Does it get bitter upon standing, as that has been my experience with lime that is used to make limeade?