• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using orange cauliflower

heidih

I have seen and used out of curiosity the green cauliflower, but this morning the orange one just called to me. I had cauliflower on the brain from Dejah's use as a mock fried rice here. I got it home and just gave it an initial steam to have it ready for perhaps a gratin tomorrow. I do not know if the color plays tricks on the mind or not but it seems sweeter than the white. Anyone used it or have suggestions for use? The attached image is after the light steam and it looks like I have added tumeric!

004.JPG

I like it - and it does taste sweeter than the white. The purple cauliflower is even sweeter and has a nutty flavor. My local produce market sells the "baby" sized heads of the white, orange and purple and I steam them separately and toss them together with butter in which I have mased some freshly grated nutmeg. It makes a very pretty dish. I don't care as much for the green - the stuff sold here is the type that looks like an upside-down cone and it is usually rather tough.

The purple does not require as much steaming time as the white.

The difference in flavors is subtle, but you can taste it when you have them together.

After steaming, I transfer them to cold water if I am going to use them in salads.

I don't like cauliflower raw in salads.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, my default treatment for most vegetables is to simmer briefly in lightly salted water, chop them coarsely and then cook in olive oil, along with garlic and herbs.

It's available here in NYC at USGM (Union Square GreenMarket) as "cheese cauliflower". I use it in just about anything where normal cauliflower might make an appearance.

Try slicing them thinly, then briefly fried in olive oil, with anchovy, currants, pine nuts and peperoncini. Or simmered in lightly salted water, then fried in unsalted butter, along with green beans and slivered almonds.

Maybe the color fools me, but yellow cauliflower always seems more buttery than the standard white version.

It makes for a very pretty and flavorful pureed soup as well as a gratin, contrasting against the bechamel, etc.. I've taken to adding a bit of sweet curry powder to simply steamed/sauteed yellow cauliflower, it really seems to suit it.

• 2 weeks later...

i mostly eat my veggies raw or lightly cooked, but this indian pan-roasted cauliflower is really special. toss the florets with ground coriander, fennel seed, curry and a litlle cumin, then fry uncovered in a little peanut oil on med to low flame for close to 40 min, tossing every 5 min. then grate lemon zest on top, very fine. it comes out so-o nutty almost like walnuts, and should be caramelized: browned. you can toss it with fried shallots and bacon too.

I've been cooking the purple version lately in an old-school way: chop into bite sized florets, put into a buttered gratin dish. Make a white sauce (I use whole wheat flour for the roux) enriched with cheese (usually gruyere or parmesan, but generally whatever needs to be used up), nutmeg, black pepper, and a few snipped chives, pour over the cauliflower, and sprinkle with ground almonds. Bake at 375 until bubbly and browned.