• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Night of Street Food in Bangalore

pastameshugana

Well, I just returned from a two-week trip to Bangalore with my three oldest 'mini-meshuganas'. We lived there for a couple of years, so this was a blast to get back and see old friends, and re-connect with the food!

One night a friend took us to a fantastic kaati roll joint. I'm sure there's few experiences in all the world like eating street food at night anywhere in Asia. Everyone's out, most people are happy, the food is fantastic and fresh, and everybody speaks the same language over food!

Produce stand where we parked:

IMG_3152.jpeg

Skewering the chicken:

IMG_3153.jpeg

Grilling the chicken:

IMG_3154.jpeg

Making the parothas (note the Kinley water bottles as sauce containers):

IMG_3155.jpeg

At the juice shop two doors down getting drinks - we chose butterfruit shakes. If you're unfamiliar, the butterfruit is like a large, mild avocado. When sweetened into a shake, it's a remarkably delicious drink!

IMG_3156.jpeg

And the finished roll, with sliced onion, egg and 'sauce' that we couldn't get a definition of:

IMG_3157.jpeg

These were the best I've had - but it might have been at least partially because I've been out of the country for three years and had a serious craving on. ;)

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 2 months later...