• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
demo

Red wine butter mousse, or how to reheat butter-mounted sauces?

5 posts in this topic

AKA cooking by accident.

I had leftover red wine sauce, made from glaced onions reduced with stock and wine, reduced a lot, and mounted with butter, a lot of butter. In the fridge it looked like red butter. I heated it in a pan, I whisked on low heat, but the sauce broke.

"Let's start again", so i started to cool it down, I put the pan in a larger pan with cold water, and whisked quite heavily to speed up the cooling. Suddenly I was had lovely red wine butter mousse/chantilly. I served it with duck breast, a bit unfamiliar in the beginning, but very good.

What should I have done to reheat the sauce successfully? (And is there a name for what I made?)

You can always add an emulsifier to prevent the sauce from breaking. I think even xanthan gum can go a long ways to help.

The original sauce sounds more or less like a beurre rouge (that is, the red-wine version of a beurre blanc), which I think it pretty widely assumed to be unreheatable without some magic powders; Modernist Cuisine at Home recommends a combination of xanthan gum and liquid soy lecithin. As for your mousse, I think I would just call it a flavoured whipped butter!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Cut it into pieces, bring a tablespoon of water to a boil and whisk it into the hot water.

Cut it into pieces, bring a tablespoon of water to a boil and whisk it into the hot water.

Yes, this was what I planned on doing, make a new sauce with the old one as the "butter".

I haven't thought of it as similar to buerre blanc, there is more liquid left before mounting in this red version of mine, but perheps not enough to make a sigificant difference.

I the future it will be either red wine flavoured whipped butter, or modern emulsifiers for the reheat. Will I have to have the emulsifiers in before I cool it the first time, or will I be able to whisk it in as I reheat?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0