• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

SmokingCrab

Instant Vacuum Chamber Pickles

7 posts in this topic

I've just recieved my vacuum chamber after a month long wait for it to get shipped from Germany. Which is shocking considering I could drive there in half a day from here in London... A lot of anticipation gets built up over the course of a month! Think 15 year old with keys to a Zonda.

I got the mid sized Vakupaxs... I'm seriously, serioulsy impressed. For it's power and size it about 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of most of the alternatives here in the UK. For anyone in the market for a chamber, it's worth considering. Although I had to get the manual translated from German (fortunately my mum is a translator... said she would have charged me £600 if I was a customer...)

I've been vac packing literally everything. Highlight is certainly liquids; a revelation after using a foodsaver for so long. Also successfully packaged my house mate's wallet, keys, shoes and phone :D

So.... This leads me onto asking for ideas on instant vacuum pickles. I've seen a few recipes from Polyscience, MC, chefsteps and seattle food geek, but they're all fairly similar. I'm just wondering if anyone has come up with some really imaginative flavour combos? I'm going be doing some trials and adding pics soon.

Any cunning ideas? I'm willing to try anything!

Edited by SmokingCrab (log)

Try compressing watermelon with balsamic vinegar. Instant sweet and sour.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

If we're moving in that direction, there's always cucumber and gin. Try it as a garnish in a martini made with Hendricks.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

I've also heard of an "instant bloody mary" where you infuse celery sticks with vodka and tomato juice.

Watermelon and Campari.

Yumm!!

Its good to have Morels