• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blendtec - WildSide vs FourSide jars

seabream

I am trying to understand the difference between the WildSide and FourSide Blendtec jars.

Is it just a matter of size? The manual says that the FourSide jar is "great for smaller-yielding recipes" and that the WildSide is "great for larger-yielding recipes". But is it the case that smaller recipes ONLY work in the FourSide, or could the WildSide be used too? I was under the impression that the WildSide would work for small and large recipes, but the manual says "please prepare the recipe with the jar listed". Really?

Or is it also a matter of what is being blended? The manual says that the FourSide jar is great for sauces, dressings and nut butter, and that the WildSide is great for breads, quick breads and frozen desserts. However, many of the frozen desserts in their cookbook then call for the FourSide jar. Confusing.

What if I'm using the Blendtec with recipes other than the ones in the cookbook, how should I choose between one jar and the other?

I just bought a Blendtec at Costco that came only with the WildSide jar. I'm considering returning it and buy the package that comes with both jars, if the FourSide jar really is required for some uses.

Edited by seabream (log)

I say try all kinds of things with what you have. If you then decide you want the other one return the Blend-tec you have. Costco will refund your money on anything at any time. It's one of the main reasons we shop there.

I bought my Blendtec with the WildSide jar on Saturday at the Costco store, and the online promotion with the two jars ended on Sunday. So I didn't have much time to make a decision.

I ended up buying the one with the two jars. This way I'll have some extra time to try both jars, and to decide which package to return. As you say, Costco has a good return policy, so it should be fine.

I tried a few "FourSide" jar recipes in my "WildSide" in the last few days:

* I made the blueberry ice cream in the recipe book, which blended fine but doesn't even come close to purchased ice cream (we threw away most of it). I may buy an ice cream maker - I was hoping that the Blentec would fill that gap, but I'm convinced now that it doesn't.

* I also made frozen yogurt with 1 cup yogurt + 2 cups frozen fruit (a small amount for the WildSide jar), and that left some big chunks after going through the ice cream cycle. We pulsed a few more times, and that fixed it. Taste was good, but once again texture and temperature don't compare with the frozen yogurt at Menchie's around the corner. I'll continue being a good Menchie's customer.

* And last, I made an asparagus soup that came out fantastic. This is where the Blendtec really shines compared to my previous blender. Creamy, smooth, really nice.

Edited by seabream (log)