• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brazilian cooking: feijoada and other specialties

My students come from various countries. Whenever a new country is added to our roster, I like to try cooking dishes from there.

This term, I have 7 from Brazil!

Feijoada is listed whenever I google for Brazilian cuisine. Do YOU have a favourite tried and tried recipe for his dish? The only ingredient I can't buy is carne seca. From another thread, I guess I could prepare it at home.

In fact, any Brazilian recipes would be great.

Thanks!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Got all the ingredients for the Feijoada, except for the more obscure pig parts and carne seca. Will have to adapt somehow. Florence Tyler suggested "corned beef"...we'll see. Will read thru' johnny's cook-off again before starting this afternoon. If it turns out decent, I may surprise my students with lunch.

Tonight, I've seasoned chicken breasts and thighs with cumin, coriander, cayenne, tumeric which will end up as "Brazilian Chicken with Coconut MIlk". It's a recipe I found on-line, and I'm not sure how authenic it is, but anything with coconut milk and the spices mentioned has got to be good. :smile:

Sylvialovegren: I will definitely try your Brazilian Coconut Shrimp Stew later this week!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Let the feijoada begin! I am following the recipe posted by johnnyd in his foodblog - a recipe adapted from "A Little Brazilian Cookbook" - Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz, as well as Tyler Florence of FoodNetwork.

I am too impatient to get this dish going, so I will (run and duck!) substitue corned beef for carne seca. I've seen this suggestion a couple times so I will follow suit. Couldn't find any smoked hocks, so I bought a fresh one, simmered it, and used the liquid to cook the black beans (soaked overnight) along with the meaty bone from a smoked pork shoulder. Along with chorizo, I am also using hot longanisa, fresh beef shoulder tender, and pork ribs. Keep your fingers crossed!

black beans 8932.jpg

meat for feijoada 8935.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It's been an all day Brazilian adventure in my kitchen today!

My first attempt at Brazilian feijoada. The students will have this either for lunch or supper tomorrow. May be for supper as I don't want them falling asleep during my writing class in the afternoon!

I am pleased with the results, authenic or not. Made a black bean and rice dish as well.

All simmering happily in the pot.

simmering  all together 8942.jpg

black beans and rice 8947.jpg

feijoada and rice 8958.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The feijoada I posted up above is for tomorrow.

Tonight, we had Brazilian Chicken in Coconut Milk.

The chicken was rubbed with spices: cumin, tumeric, coriander, cayenne pepper. These were browned and cooked through, then set aside and kept warm.

1 Brazilian chicken 8945.jpg

Made the coconut milk sauce: browned chopped onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, ginger, chopped tomatoes, in the same pan with the chicken drippings and brown bits. Added the coconut milk, simmered, then poured over the chicken.

3 Brazilian chicken 8955.jpg

Eaten with black beans and rice

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com