• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

seabream

Cooking with "The food of Morocco" by Paula Wolfert

32 posts in this topic

Hey Slb! I love that bean pot. I cook beans in it all the time and I even cooked tangia in it, a Moroccan dish of meat, spices and preserved lemon cooked in the oven on low heat for 7 hrs.

Interesting!  I thought it might be too tall for the oven.  Good to know.  

I seldom eat couscous.  I cannot abide boiled couscous and being lazy I seldom prepare thrice steamed couscous with milk and all that stuff as per Wolfert (pp 202-203).  However tonight I broke down and did so.

It was an okra couscous, the broth being what once was the leftovers of Wolfert's lamb tagine with spinach, lemon, and olives (p 364).

Very, very good.  But now, what to do with the excess couscous?

Can you make some kind of cold salad using couscous?  I have a few salads made with cold cooked quinoa.   I don't like cold rice or pasta salads, but many folks do.  Perhaps couscous can work this way also.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

You can mix the couscous with some buttermilk and a little sugar. Its called saycouk.

Can you make some kind of cold salad using couscous?  I have a few salads made with cold cooked quinoa.   I don't like cold rice or pasta salads, but many folks do.  Perhaps couscous can work this way also.

I was planning to try reheating the couscous but a cold salad might work.

I don't love cold couscous, although I find it satisfying enough if it's allowed to get to room temperature (I assume we're talking about leftovers, here).  That's true with other pasta salads, too.  

With grains like quinoa or barley or, my very favorite grain for salads, farro, I actually like to warm everything up a little bit before I eat it.  The grains dry out more quickly than the pastas, and I find dried-out grains really unpleasant.  Honestly, I like all my pasta- or grain-based salads a little warm.

I won't go near a cold rice salad (again, I'm talking about leftovers -- I can totally deal with cooled rice that was just-cooked).  In fact, rice-based salads is the one thing that I can't handle as a leftover at all.  I have to fry it.