• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "The food of Morocco" by Paula Wolfert

• 1 month later...

I seldom eat couscous.  I cannot abide boiled couscous and being lazy I seldom prepare thrice steamed couscous with milk and all that stuff as per Wolfert (pp 202-203).  However tonight I broke down and did so.

It was an okra couscous, the broth being what once was the leftovers of Wolfert's lamb tagine with spinach, lemon, and olives (p 364).

Very, very good.  But now, what to do with the excess couscous?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Can you make some kind of cold salad using couscous?  I have a few salads made with cold cooked quinoa.   I don't like cold rice or pasta salads, but many folks do.  Perhaps couscous can work this way also.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Can you make some kind of cold salad using couscous?  I have a few salads made with cold cooked quinoa.   I don't like cold rice or pasta salads, but many folks do.  Perhaps couscous can work this way also.

I was planning to try reheating the couscous but a cold salad might work.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't love cold couscous, although I find it satisfying enough if it's allowed to get to room temperature (I assume we're talking about leftovers, here).  That's true with other pasta salads, too.  

With grains like quinoa or barley or, my very favorite grain for salads, farro, I actually like to warm everything up a little bit before I eat it.  The grains dry out more quickly than the pastas, and I find dried-out grains really unpleasant.  Honestly, I like all my pasta- or grain-based salads a little warm.

I won't go near a cold rice salad (again, I'm talking about leftovers -- I can totally deal with cooled rice that was just-cooked).  In fact, rice-based salads is the one thing that I can't handle as a leftover at all.  I have to fry it.   

• 2 years later...

I am just getting into this book now and I have to say if any book that I have read in the last few years cries out for photographs it is this one!  There are a few photographs but many are of scenes or ingredients and very few are of finished dishes.  I am not by any means laying blame just wishing that the publishers could have found the money to support a lot more photography because the food (and the author) are so deserving of it.  I have the Kindle edition so I find myself flipping back and forth as it were between the book and Google images as I try to imagine certain dishes.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog