• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamed Omelettes

Shel_B

Yesterday I had a steamed omelette for breakfast at a nearby restaurant. Really enjoyed it. Any ideas on how to make 'em. I found a few recipes and ideas in the web, but many used oil or butter, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks!

... Shel

I've not done this, but I've done something similar, to wit, gently-cooked frittatas and crustless quiches. The trick that works for me is a slow oven. As I want the filling ingredients evenly dispersed throughout the egg mixture, I add a step of pre-cooking the latter in a bain marie until thick-but-not set, but can see no reason to bother for an omelet (where presumably you'll add the filling only after the eggs have set).

What I'd try is this. Beat the eggs with whatever ingredients you like (for me, that would be a little milk, salt and pepper) and pour into a nonstick pan (ceramic, i.e., non-PTFE will work). Cover, place in a slow oven (say, 250ºF) and cook until mostly set. (Can't be sure of the time, as I start with the bain marie, but at a guess half an hour.) Add filling, fold, cover again and bake another ten minutes to heat through. I'm not certain this will work, but it's where I'd start.

I should mention that I always lightly oil the baking dish (very lightly), so that may be essential (though I think not). If so, it's a tiny amount, nothing like one uses for a conventional sauteed omelet.

Edited by pbear (log)
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I've not done this, but I've done something similar, to wit, gently-cooked frittatas and crustless quiches. The trick that works for me is a slow oven. As I want the filling ingredients evenly dispersed throughout the egg mixture, I add a step of pre-cooking the latter in a bain marie until thick-but-not set, but can see no reason to bother for an omelet (where presumably you'll add the filling only after the eggs have set).

What I'd try is this. Beat the eggs with whatever ingredients you like (for me, that would be a little milk, salt and pepper) and pour into a nonstick pan (ceramic, i.e., non-PTFE will work). Cover, place in a slow oven (say, 250ºF) and cook until mostly set. (Can't be sure of the time, as I start with the bain marie, but at a guess half an hour.) Add filling, fold, cover again and bake another ten minutes to heat through. I'm not certain this will work, but it's where I'd start.

I should mention that I always lightly oil the baking dish (very lightly), so that may be essential (though I think not). If so, it's a tiny amount, nothing like one uses for a conventional sauteed omelet.

Sorry that I'm about a year late in responding. Thanks for the suggestions ... I like your idea even better than a steamed omelet.

... Shel