• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl – 2013

Toliver

I've been making 'Texas Red' for a few years now - also called 'son of a bitch in a sack'. Basically an 'old' cattle drive recipe of beef chili cooked with powdered spices, various reconstituted chiles and beer - no tomatoes and no beans.

We used it on nachos with a sprinkle of scallion - hits the spot

That sounds interesting. Im very picky with tomatoes in my chili. I always use fresh when its harvest time, and in a pinch i use good quality can crushed tomatoes and a few fresh from the grocery store. But i never heard of using reconstituted chiles. Are these chiles mild as to not add heat? I prefer to add powders for the heat level. Oh yeah and chili would not be complete without adding beer.

Edited by FeChef (log)

Any day that combines football and food is a great one!

Here's my menu:

* Buffalo Wings

* Nachos

* Chili Dogs

* Tacos al Pastor

* Mini Sliders on Waffle Fries

* Crab Salad Paninis

* Super Bowl Sausage with Mustard

* Mini Spinach Dip Bread Bowls

I'm especially excited about the tacos al pastor. I made the marinade yesterday. The pork will marinate for awhile and then on to the BGE for a few hours.

I also made a tomato jam yesterday from Mourad: New Moroccan, by Mourad Lahlou that I'm going to use as a condiment on the sliders on waffle fries. The sausage came from my local German pork store; they make a smoked kielbasa style sausage just for the Superbowl that I serve with a locally made mustard with horseradish. I'm making the chili this morning since the hot dogs are being served around lunchtime; we start early around here and eat all day!

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

We got 3 kinds of brats from the butcher: packer brats (with cheddar and sauerkraut inside), green chile cheddar brats, and portabella jack. And we'll be making buffalo chicken dip, sweet potato fries, and possibly deviled eggs. Just 3 1/2 of us, so nothing too ambitious. I don't even care about the game, but I've been looking forward to the chicken dip for months now.

stuffed jalapenos and scotch bonnet poppers wrapped in bacon and indirect cooked on the grill. bam bam shrimp. basically fried breaded shrimp with a spicy aioli. grilled greek lemon ribs. H/M ceasar salad. tomato bruschetta with feta plus assorted munchies. cheese (asiago), pepperettes ,baguette

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've been making 'Texas Red' for a few years now - also called 'son of a bitch in a sack'. Basically an 'old' cattle drive recipe of beef chili cooked with powdered spices, various reconstituted chiles and beer - no tomatoes and no beans.

We used it on nachos with a sprinkle of scallion - hits the spot

That sounds interesting. Im very picky with tomatoes in my chili. I always use fresh when its harvest time, and in a pinch i use good quality can crushed tomatoes and a few fresh from the grocery store. But i never heard of using reconstituted chiles. Are these chiles mild as to not add heat? I prefer to add powders for the heat level. Oh yeah and chili would not be complete without adding beer.

Basically dried chiles I got at the Bodega: guajillo, pasilla, ancho, anaheim; which I throw into simmering water until soft. Then they're into a blender with the now-rich simmer broth. After searing diced stew beef with powders (onion, garlic, cayenne, paprika, oregano, salt, white pepper, crushed cumin/clove), then add beef broth and simmer 1/2hr.

Then add beer and chiles w/simmer water mixture, minced fresh serrano, a splash of red wine vinegar, shaved bittersweet chocolate, brown sugar, and a jolt of tabasco for good measure - simmer 45mins.

At this point you mix a 1/4 cup masa harina with the chili, one ladle at a time, blend, and put on lowest setting, covered for 2hrs.

When I first made this, I realized cowboys on the range had to pack efficiently, so the best way to flavor meals was with spice powders - and dried foods like chiles. Tomatoes were out of the question and beans were too heavy. I always think I'm reaping the fruits of American history when I make "Texas Red" - it was LBJ's favorite meal.

[exact recipe from Clifford Wright's "Real Stew" http://www.amazon.com/Real-Stew-Home-Cooked-Minestrone-Bouillabaise/dp/1558321993

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

No pictures, but overall a success. The hummus and muhammara basically vanished, and a good chunk of the baba ghanoush went as well. The white bean dip (which interestingly enough was my favorite of the 4) seemed to be the least popular. Of course, that leaves plenty of leftover white bean dip for me, which is a bonus.

I ended up toasting all the flatbread -- I was making a larger than usual batch and let it get over-kneaded in the stand mixer, so it was a little too tough/chewy to serve soft*. Crisped up in the oven, it had a good snap and the toughness went away.

* I'm assuming the longer kneading period is why it was a little tough, since that seems to be the only difference from all the other times I've made it.

No pictures, but overall a success. The hummus and muhammara basically vanished, and a good chunk of the baba ghanoush went as well. The white bean dip (which interestingly enough was my favorite of the 4) seemed to be the least popular. Of course, that leaves plenty of leftover white bean dip for me, which is a bonus.

I ended up toasting all the flatbread -- I was making a larger than usual batch and let it get over-kneaded in the stand mixer, so it was a little too tough/chewy to serve soft*. Crisped up in the oven, it had a good snap and the toughness went away.

* I'm assuming the longer kneading period is why it was a little tough, since that seems to be the only difference from all the other times I've made it.

Some of my favorite things. I love muhammara and just made some recently as well as hummus.

Dcarch-Cool looking wings. Would also go well on Halloween. They look sinister yet tasty. Very cool plateing as usual

Fried crispy wings for Super Bowl.

dcarch

superbowlchickenwings2_zps2fbd18c3.jpg

superbowlchickenwings_zpsc39bbd26.jpg

dcarch .. did you use wooden skewers to keep those wings so straight?

.. they are really tasty looking.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow