• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl – 2013

Toliver

What'cha making?

I'm not hosting but have been invited to a Superbowl party.

Does anyone have some suggestions for "portable" menu items? I'm looking for something that will transport well and has been popular with the party crowds.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I would be smoking pork butt and pulling it. But, you gotta know your crowd. These events are not the time to demonstrate your cutting edge skills. Fancy is not usually the way to go, unless it fits with your group. The things that work best are the old standbys.

I make my own salsa and that is usually a big hit at this sort of event. Somebody usually shows up with a jar of store bought and folks are happy to see the difference.

Isn't the #1 consumed item at super bowl parties the guacamole?

Of course, if my team makes it to the big game, I don't want to spend any time in the kitchen...I'll be watching the game.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 Can Bean Salad. It's 1 can each of garbanzos, blackeyed peas, canallini beans and petite diced tomatoes. Drain beans, rinse well, shake off excess water, combine with tomatoes in a large bowl. Reserve most of the tomato juice, use the remainder in with the tomatoes & beans. Add a large red onion, chopped fairly fine, and one head of 'celery hearts' (generally sold in 2 packs) ditto. Season to taste with salt, moisten with Newman's own dressing (original flavour, or olive oil Italian) and leftover tomato juice. Season with plenty of thyme, a bit of basil, oregeno if desired and pepper. Can garnish with roasted peppers. Add a can of corn to mix , if desired, and black beans, too. Chill for several hours, covered, stir, add more Ital. dressing if desired and bring to cool room temp before serving.

ETA: black beans.

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'm leaning towards tiki bar grub. Thinking kalua pork sliders, maybe chieftan chicken and crab rangoon or coconut shrimp. Non-fussy, eat-with-the-fingers stuff and most of the work can be done ahead. And beer... I don't plan to play bartender during the game.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Im doing SV+ smoked brisket sliders with red cabbage coleslaw and my homemade pineapple BBQ sauce. Buffalo chicken Casadias. And my off the hook chili con carne. This year its a mix of coarse ground beef and cubed deer tenderloin. Then you got your normal snacks like salsa and tortilla chips, celery and blue cheese dressing to go along with the Buffalo chicken Casadias. Oh and the most impportant ingredient for us Americans...BEER!

I second tamales, but then I'm a tamale freak.

I'd third tamales but I can't get masa or corn husks where I live. Every place I've found them online that will ship is in the U.S. and charges 2 - 3x what I'm paying for the product for shipping to Canada. So tamales are no longer something I do. Same problem with banana leaves... so I'll be faking it a bit if I do tha kalua pork.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Going to smoke short ribs, pork ribs and a pork butt (16 hours in the BGE) along with make potato salad, cornbread and coleslaw. Having a bunch of people over so am asking everybody to bring something - side, dessert, beer. Worked out well last year.

Off to the butcher in a couple hours to get a rack of beef ribs - never smoked them before so figure a trial run is a good idea.

I'd third tamales but I can't get masa or corn husks where I live. Every place I've found them online that will ship is in the U.S. and charges 2 - 3x what I'm paying for the product for shipping to Canada. So tamales are no longer something I do. Same problem with banana leaves... so I'll be faking it a bit if I do tha kalua pork.

Do you have a Longo's nearby? The one I go to sells masa harina.

I did a test run of the short ribs on the smoker and they were insanely good. I made a rub of just a little brown sugar, salt, coarse ground szechuan peppercorns and lots and lots of coarse ground black pepper. I didn't measure anything. I smoked them on the weber for about 3 hours between 250-350 degrees until the meat hit about 284 degrees and let it rest. They cooked faster than I hoped (I was having a hard time keeping the temp down on the grill) so I was a little worried but the end result was fantastic. Can't wait to buy a whole lot more for the game.

I eat brussel sprouts a lot but for some reason have never deep fried them. Maybe that's the final thing to add to the party.

Do you have a Longo's nearby? The one I go to sells masa harina.

Nope. We have a, until a couple months ago, privately-owned grocery store that was bought out by somebody (whichever chain carries the Compliments stuff) but it didn't have much effect on what they carry... the prices just went up. They haven't even changed the name so far. There are a couple other options about an hour away but neither carries the stuff I mentioned. It's not a big deal, I'm used to not being able to find things I want here. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

For the party I'm going to, I'm making a middle eastern dip platter: hummus (which I made with a little smoked paprika), white bean dip (seasoned with turmeric and chili powder), baba ghanoush and muhammara.

I'm also going to make flatbread on Sunday morning -- some I will toast, some I will leave soft.

Only a few guys over for the SB this year.

Firing up the WSM for ribs, wings, ABT's.

May make some Ceviche as well. Our local Mexican market has rocoto chiles on a regular basis.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Where do you live in Canada? The No Frills in Cabbagetown in Toronto carries masa, I was very surprised to see the other day.

I've been making 'Texas Red' for a few years now - also called 'son of a bitch in a sack'. Basically an 'old' cattle drive recipe of beef chili cooked with powdered spices, various reconstituted chiles and beer - no tomatoes and no beans.

We used it on nachos with a sprinkle of scallion - hits the spot

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com