• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report on Heading to San Francisco

Kerry Beal

Really loved all the suggestions on the thread Heading to SF - what to hit. Thought it only fair to report on things as I get around to eating them.

We arrived in SF this afternoon at about 3:30. Talked the hubby into walking from our hotel over to the Zuni Cafe. Seemed like a good idea - needed to stretch the legs after a long painful flight. The concierge at the hotel seemed to think it should be a cab ride. Asked him how long to walk - said 20 minutes - didn't seem necessary to take a cab. Given the rather sad collection of humanity we passed enroute - understood why he had suggested the cab! Just like being at work on a Friday with the guys at the Men's Mission and the Salvation army.

Arrived at Zuni around 5 - followed the directions about ordering the chicken early since it takes an hour. Drank our way through a bottle of nice Gerwertztraminer while we waited and enjoyed a couple of pieces of the rustic bread provided.

DSCN0807.jpg

DSCN0808.jpg

Had concerns that after the wait that the chicken wouldn't live up to the hype - well it certainly did! Perfectly crispy skin, the salad of greens and chunks of bread with pine nuts and plump currents and a perfect vinaigrette. Now to perfect it at home. I think the BGE is the perfect instrument for imitating this one.

What a first meal! The chicken flesh looks incredibly succulent but the skin not so crispy - can you describe? This is the one served over the bread salad? Anxious to see what wonders you happen upon next.

This is indeed the one over bread salad. Skin was crispy, not shatteringly, but still lick your fingers crispy especially the wing tips etc.

Tomorrow hubby wants to hit the California Academy of Science. Will have to figure out where that is and what is interesting in the area.

This is indeed the one over bread salad. Skin was crispy, not shatteringly, but still lick your fingers crispy especially the wing tips etc.

Tomorrow hubby wants to hit the California Academy of Science. Will have to figure out where that is and what is interesting in the area.

California Academy of Science is in Golden Gate Park. You'll be right by the Japanese Tea Garden, the Botanical Garden (free entry), De Young Museum and Conservatory of Flower. There are plenty to do in the park. I haven't been, but heard good things about The Moss Room at the California Academy of Science.

On Sunset side of the park, you have Art's Cafe. A tiny hole in the wall diner with great hashbrown sandwich. Not far from there is Arizmendi Bakery - the cheeserolls are one of my all time favorite baked goods.

Jealous about Zuni's chicken. Always thought it had too much hype, until I finally tried it years later. It was good.

Kerry the BGE would do very nicely to really crisp up that bird.

I do it in my oven but spatchcock the bird for a quick and even roast. Remember to salt the bird at least a day ahead and loosen the skin and some herbs under it

You can do a pretty good rendition of your SF Zuni chicken experience

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Thanks for the extra suggestions - I think perhaps we might try the Moss Room in the Academy - then figure out which of my other choices I want to try for dinner.

Forgot to mention last night - when we left Zuni, we hit a market across the street called Nick's. It was a liquor store and grocery, the sign said 'no limits' - I assume that meant you could buy as much booze as you wanted? I needed milk for my tea of course. Anyway in cruising the cold bottles of wine I saw that they carried the full line of Andres 'fine' collection - Baby Duck, Cold Duck, Baby Cham...

Oh yeah - and cold chicken with bread salad is totally yummy for breakfast!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

We are at the Intercontinental which is Howard Street - fairly close to Powell and Market. I shall check out where those are relative to where I am.

Enjoyed our lunch at the Moss Room in the California Academy of Science. A very pretty space - not a whole lot of light though - as is reflected in my totally out of focus photos.

DSCN0829.jpg

Hubby enjoyed a Drake Ale. I suspect it is the amber ale.

DSCN0830.jpg

He went for the burger.

DSCN0831.jpg

I enjoyed the moule frite.

DSCN0832.jpg

Shared the frite.

I was interested to see in the gift shop of the Academy of Science a copy of Vietnamese Home Cooking - by Charles Phan - who was noted to be the head chef of the Moss Room. And I gather the chef at the Slanted Door as well.

...Talked the hubby into walking from our hotel over to the Zuni Cafe. Seemed like a good idea - needed to stretch the legs after a long painful flight. The concierge at the hotel seemed to think it should be a cab ride. Asked him how long to walk - said 20 minutes - didn't seem necessary to take a cab. Given the rather sad collection of humanity we passed enroute - understood why he had suggested the cab! Just like being at work on a Friday with the guys at the Men's Mission and the Salvation army.

That part of lower Market Street (especially going south from Civic Center) is like skid row. When I go to Zuni Cafe, I take the MUNI subway to Van Ness Station, then walk a couple blocks to the restaurant. Those two blocks are grungy, but I've never had a problem walking there during evening hours or earlier. No need for a cab if you're willing to do a short walk from the MUNI station.

I notice that your hotel is located a few blocks from the Deli Board, which was mentioned on your original thread by another poster. I like it too.

http://www.deliboardsf.com/

Headed out to Tartine Bakery tonight - discovered when I arrived I'd left my camera in the hotel. Interestingly took better pictures with my cell than I did with my regular camera at lunch!

20130117_173226.jpg

The ham and leek quiche for hubby.

20130117_173250.jpg

Croque monsieur pour moi. That was one hot little pickled carrot accompanying it.

DSCN0835.jpg

Brought home some pain chocolate for hubbies breakfast.

DSCN0838.jpg

Grabbed a couple of these chocolate salted rye cookies.

DSCN0840.jpg

Lemon Meringue cake slice.

When tasted and analyzed - can you elaborate on the chocolate salted rye cookies? This is screaming to me

Was just thinking I should try them.

Ok, so they are a dense little chewy brownie like cookie - remind me a bit of those one bite brownies that the supermarkets sell in bags. I can see them being a bit more to my liking with the right chocolate. They've got potential.

I wonder if the recipe for them is in the Tartine Bakery book that I have at home?

Hey Kerry

If you get a chance, check out Tout Sweet. It is a new patisserie from Top Chef Just Desserts Season 1 winner Yigit Pura. Here is the website:

http://www.toutsweetsf.com/

Address:

Macy’s Union Square

Geary Street Entrance, 3rd floor

170 O’Farrell Street

San Francisco, CA 94102

Take some pictures, or better yet, bring home some samples ;)

Today I'm heading the direction of the Ferry Terminal. Hope to try the Shaking Beef at the Slanted Door (or the Back Door as suggested on the other thread).

Just want to ask if anyone knows where I might find Red Boat Fish sauce within quick walking distance of my hotel. Wonder if they will be at the Fancy Food show?

found this:

http://redboatfishsa...ere_to_buy.html

if the SF map doesnt show up in this link, type San francisco CA a bout 8 places show up.

cheeers

Found it - Sur la Table had it, as well as a grocery and butcher in the Ferry Terminal Market.