• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Gran Cocina Latina" by Maricel Presilla

heidih

I own this cookbook. It is a tour de force and deserves the accolades it's gotten.

It is also a rather daunting book at 900+ pages. There is a ton of pretty well researched information in it and the sections are reasonably well organized. Rather than split the book into chapters that focus on each country, Maricel has chosen to organize the book by ingredient/typcial menu categories and then provide supporting material and recipes that actually show the interrelationships and regional differences in the way dishes are prepared or ingreidents handled. I have not yet cooked from the book, but in reading through some of the recipes, I have no doubt they are doable. But at 900 pages how do you figure out where to begin :wacko:

The book for me is a bit unweildy becuase of it's size. I find it a bit awkward to handle and am wondering how that will translate to real time usage in the kitchen. I would have preferred to have the book broken down into 2, possibly 3, volumes simply for ease of handling.

Edited by kalypso (log)

I have it and think its great. It's not flashy in the least bit, but its a huge book with an incredible amount of information inside. If someone is looking for a book to look through and see pictures to get inspiration for dishes to cook, this is not the right book, but if someone wants a reference book that thoroughly explores latin american food, this is the clear winner. Think of it as the latin american version of David Thompson's "thai food".

I've used the book twice, and with excellent results.

Mexican food is so different that I might have left it out. You can't have anything but a superficial look at it but she's done a great job with everything.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I got mine a couple of months ago and it's a fascinating read for anyone interested in Latin American cooking. Even if I never cook anything from this book, I don't regret getting it because it is so interesting and so big! By the time I get done reading it, I'll be ready to start over again. If you are a member of The Good Cook book club you can get it for $10 on one of their "buy 4 or more books for $10 each" sales. A real bargain IMHO.