• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Purchase Sorbitol in Canada?

Sue Casey

I don't see sorbitol on their list - perhaps I'm overlooking it. I haven't ever found it in Canada. I got mine across the river in Buffalo at Feelrite market - but I had to ask them to order in some for me. It's a Now Foods product. Cuisine-tech also carries it - a french outfit - but seems to be only available via Amazon etc in US.

I ordered mine from l'epicerie in the U.S, I didn't think the shipping was bad at all but they have a $25/order minimum. Their smaller package (1 lb) of sorbitol is $4.75 and the 5 lb is $20.50 so unfortunately it's not going to be an option unless you see something else you want or need an even larger amount than 5 lbs.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I order many items from L'epicerie - especially from the Hard-To-Find Bakery items. Many of the products are available elsewhere only in large batches for commercial kitchens. L'epicerie makes them available for home cooks and bakers in reasonable amounts, at reasonable prices.

The flavors and the pastes and purees are extraordinary. I recently ordered the Guittard black cocoa powder and the coffee paste and am very pleased with both. (I ordered other items but have yet to use them.)

I also used the Blood orange puree with the cake I made using the black cocoa. Lovely flavor combination.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett