• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Hunan, where are the best places?

Naftal

My nephew is going to Hunan in August '13. I know he would enjoy knowing where to go for an authentic meal. Any suggestions? He does speak Mandarin.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Where in Hunan is he going? It's a big place.

I am not sure yet. He is not sure either. He is going to teach for a year and does not know where they will send him. He wants to work in a rural area. I will give you more information as soon as I get it. Thank You so much for your willingness to help!!!!!! Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 6 months later...

Hello- I just found out where he will be. He is going to Cili County, near Zhangjiajie. What are the best places in that area. My nephew does speak Mandarin.

Where in Hunan is he going? It's a big place.

Well, that's certainly rural. I lived in the area from 1997-1999, so I'm not going to recommend specific places which may well no longer be there.

The rural aspect rules out any high end dining, but I guess that's not what he's looking for. Generally, the best food I found was in small no name restaurants where often the wife did the cooking while the husband did the serving / running to the market or vice versa.

I would suggest he avoid banquet type restaurants (unless someone else is paying). The food isn't that great and can be expensive.

I wouldn't worry. He'll find them. His students will tell him which small restaurants around the school are the best - and they will be authentically Hunanese. Hot and spicy, in other words.

Word of warning - they speak a non-Mandarin local dialect / language there, although in theory the education is all in Mandarin. (Many teachers fail the Mandarin exams.)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto