• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Noodles

there's a Korean restaurant from me that makes their own noodles and they are absolutely tremendous. slightly kinkier than chinese noodles, chewier than italian pasta, a shape and size kinda like chitara pasta. wondering if anyone has any insight as to how to track down recipes for fresh korean noodles as it seems hard to come by, thanks.

• 2 years later...

I know this is terribly late but the noodles you are looking for are called Jjolmyeon (쫄면). I haven't found a recipe to make the noodles themselves. The story goes that the owner of a noodles making factory made the noodles with too much starch and made them larger diameter then the noodles specified. They gave them away to their neighbors and that was that. It is super popular noodle in Korea.There seems to be no recipes but the ingredients for the noodles are : wheat, cornstarch, wine,salt, alkali (sodium bicarbonate/Sodium Carbonate). I think they are pressed through a die cutter 3mm in diameter.  I hope this helps.